E7 Overhaul Interval

Hello Gents,

What is the recommended (or usual) overhaul interval for a VMACII E7? I have a 1997 CH613 with a E7-400 that has about 850,000 original miles on it and I'm thinking about having my local Mack dealer do a rod and main bearing job on it this coming winter after the work season slows down. At a hot idle the engine has about 20 psi of oil pressure and runs around 35-45 psi running depending on boost pressure. These numbers seem kind of low to me but I don't know what is "usual" as far as where the oil pressure should be on the engine or how far I should let it go before it spins a bearing on the road somewhere. The truck is a very strong runner and has very little blow-by. Any input would be appreciated. Thank You! 

- Kevin G. 

if the over board breather isnt puffing like a freight train..  I would just do the bottom end and an oil pump.  Then freshen up the cooling system..  new coolant, thermostat, fan clutch if its viscous, even the water pump..  Terry and FJH,  nailed it..    I would easily choose PAI parts for this repair..  I'm building an E-Tech now, with PAI parts..  The oil pump actually came with a new pick-up tube.. jojo

Wouldn't it be cheeper in the long run to do the whole engine at once than just the bottom end? Most in-frame kits come bearings, liners, pistons, and all  so why not just get a whole new engine while you still can 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Wouldn't it be cheeper in the long run to do the whole engine at once than just the bottom end? Most in-frame kits come bearings, liners, pistons, and all  so why not just get a whole new engine while you still can 

Its all in how you look at it ! and what your plans for the future are I suppose! I am of the mind if It ain't broke don't Fix it! Preventative maintenance is ok don't poke at stuff that's treating you good!

Just now, fjh said:

Its all in how you look at it ! and what your plans for the future are I suppose! I am of the mind if It ain't broke don't Fix it! Preventative maintenance is ok don't poke at stuff that's treating you good! An inframe is highly in intrusive and can get expensive the more you dig the deeper you get! 

13 hours ago, fjh said:

Its all in how you look at it ! and what your plans for the future are I suppose! I am of the mind if It ain't broke don't Fix it! Preventative maintenance is ok don't poke at stuff that's treating you good!

Yeah for me if it doest have blow-by and it has good oil pressure leave it alone. In my unprofessional opinion bearings don't need to be replaced unless it's knocking. Ive seen bearings come out of million mile motors look new so as long as you use good oil and filters I say keep running em 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Yeah for me if it doest have blow-by and it has good oil pressure leave it alone. In my unprofessional opinion bearings don't need to be replaced unless it's knocking. Ive seen bearings come out of million mile motors look new so as long as you use good oil and filters I say keep running em 

the only thought of waiting till you hear a knock, have you already scored the crank!    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1