almost new 1985 R688st

Tinman22

8 hours ago, Tinman22 said:

Unfortunately It was only driven in the summer so it has sat every winter since its purchase in 1985.

I think you meant fortunately 😄

It still needs a new one piece composite headliner and full interior if such a thing even exists.

There was a guy on here a year or two ago selling or at least taking orders for full cab kits for R models. I think actually yesterday the thread was resurrected. It seems maybe Covid put the guy out of business? I think in the thread there someone listed a company in Australia making interior pieces too.

Im taking alot of ribbing from family and friends for its age but I figured if it could do it in 1985 it can do it today. we run two lane state highways all the time between gary indiana and toledo so no hills and 55 mph.

Yes I love how 350hp was more than adequate 35 years ago but most people seem to think an engine like this is irrelevant today. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to run that powertrain even in the hills of Pennsylvania. Heck my 94 RD dump has a 250hp Maxidyne. Probably not pulling the weight you will be but she certainly slows down on the hills but gets me there every time. I really could not care less if people behind me get angry. As far as I'm concerned everyone is in too much of a hurry all the time anyway. In my opinion you will be way further ahead going this route than financing yourself to death on one of these new trucks. As long as parts continue to be available your better off with a truck like this than anything made past 2002/2003 really. 

• Like 1

I found the post about the interior sets but it didn't seem to lead anywhere. we have a 94 tandem dump that a driver put in a ditch out back. the interior is there but its grey not tan. I guess it would work if needed. 

I have a freightliner 132 midroof with a detroit/13 speed and a 270" wb. Im just really tired of driving it. The sleeper is a waste of weight and sometimes its just to much truck in tight spaces. I was looking at newer pre 2000 daycabs and the prices seemed a bit high and we figured that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Three weeks till its done.

I agree it is kind of like riding in a coffe can. I ordered 2 gallons each of lizzard skin heat barrier and sound deadener. I figured that and some interior panels would bring it down to good enough. I jumped into a friends new (2017) volvo a few weeks ago and after awhile not being able to hear all of the typical noises got me wondering if something was going bad that i couldn't hear.

• Like 1

In the places the sun has baked the paint off like the roof it looks like it could be. It was only driven between april and august so it's in pretty good shape. There are some places where stones have peppered the cab and it looks like brown coming thru. It's set for a paint redo in two weeks either dark green and black or dark red and black not sure yet. It was originally white.

I don't know if its quit "eye candy" but it is rust free and low miles. The kids have been calling it Ugly Betty. i've got some shots of it in several states of disarray. i'll get some up when i get home. Does anybody have a fix for the springs located on the hood hinges? These seem to be very soft. The hood comes up quit a bit in the front when you hit a frost heave or bridge joint.

my 85 had a 300 in it and would keep up with most anything on the road. 

it had 27 miles on it when i got into it, and a little over 450,000 miles on it when they sold it in 2001.

a friend sent me a link to a for sale ad in New Hampshire back in december. guy was asking $19,000 for it with over 800,000 miles on it.

we knew it was my truck because of the custom paint. the name was changed, but the number was still the same. big blue #34 on the side of the hood. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

30 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Wow I have never seen springs on them… Bob 

Very common on RD SX  and most RD of that vintage! took a lot of stress off the hood in adverse conditions!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1