1999 Mack 690s

Ricky Beals

Question

This truck is being advertised for sale on Facebook so I have no idea how to put the listing on here. Truck has decent dump bed, tri  axle with a e7300, Eaton 8ll transmission and Mack rears. Has 560,000 miles and he is asking 26,500.00. I’m thinking 24,000.00 cash if truck checks out. Does this seem like a fair price for this truck? Try and upload photos tomorrow where service is better

Edited by Ricky Beals

the tranny offers a few ways to shift it..  I would have to show you. maybe someone will tell you, but they may have to write a full page describing the various ways to select gears and ranges..  sorry bud... jojo

1 hour ago, Ricky Beals said:

How do you shift a twin stick? Go to neutral with gear shift and then shift to high from low and then shift to fifth?

It’s a 5 speed just like the 2070. The far right stick is the auxiliary. It has low direct and reverse on the right stick. Start with main box in 1st and auxiliary in low get moving and shift auxiliary to direct. Then you just shift the main like a 5 speed. Then for reverse you put the auxiliary in reverse and you have 5 reverse gears by selecting any gear on the main box. The auxiliary low is only used when the main is in 1st so it’s a 6 speed forward and 5 in reverse. The auxiliary low is only used in situations where you would use your two creepers in a 2070. Very robust and indestructible unit and excellent for dump truck work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

How would someone even get a truck like that to Arkansas?  It’s 11 hour drive from here so no way I’m driving it back.

Usually states have a "drive home" permit that goes with the sale.  Gives you a grace period to drive it back to your base of operations. Assuming it's drivable...

I remember trying to shift the range box and the main box to use 7 gears..  It was cool, took a lot of practice, and of course some grinding. but I kept trying even though I was never really needing to do it.  I did however use 1st gear low, then shift the range box to high then go through the main box gears, and sometimes I would be in 2nd in the main box and low in the range box, and do the same thing. 2nd lo-2nd Hi, then 3-5..  when I tried to shift 1l-1h then 2l-2h..  I found myself triple clutching..  I was a nut..  No-one trained me on it, I was just self teaching/taught...  luckily when I was doing this I had several sand pit's to practice in, and when I messed up, no-one was around.. :)  If I found a twin stick "R" series that I could afford, I would buy it,,  just for the heck of it...  jojo

2 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

How do you shift a twin stick? Go to neutral with gear shift and then shift to high from low and then shift to fifth?

That's what they call a 6 speed. It's basically a 5 speed and it has an extended low range for crawling in soft ground loaded or milling or whatever. Then there's multiple reverse speeds . It's about as complicated as a pickup from the '70s with a four speed. They're also virtually indestructible. All the guys who commented on it are pretty accurate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

How would someone even get a truck like that to Arkansas?  It’s 11 hour drive from here so no way I’m driving it back.

If your not driving it shipping would be the only other option, which is an exercise in pulling your hair out if you don't personally know or have experience with a reputable transport person/company. You can create a load on Uship.com and about a zillion brokers will contact you with a price to haul it to your location but its a literal coin toss as to whether you are going to get jacked around or not.  All the brokers that deal in one off loads like that promise the word and usually underdeliver or just don't show up because they weren't able to work it into their schedule after they told you they could. Then you are sitting in Arkansas and your $20,000 investment is sitting in some stranger's lot in Pennsylvania. Personally, I would not recommend going that route.....

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I remember trying to shift the range box and the main box to use 7 gears..  It was cool, took a lot of practice, and of course some grinding. but I kept trying even though I was never really needing to do it.  I did however use 1st gear low, then shift the range box to high then go through the main box gears, and sometimes I would be in 2nd in the main box and low in the range box, and do the same thing. 2nd lo-2nd Hi, then 3-5..  when I tried to shift 1l-1h then 2l-2h..  I found myself triple clutching..  I was a nut..  No-one trained me on it, I was just self teaching/taught...  luckily when I was doing this I had several sand pit's to practice in, and when I messed up, no-one was around.. :)  If I found a twin stick "R" series that I could afford, I would buy it,,  just for the heck of it...  jojo

Joey isn't there some quirk about the twin stick 6 speed about not being able to move the truck while the PTO is engaged? If I remember correctly the auxiliary transmission has to be in neutral for the PTO to operate and you have to select a gear in the main box that gives a desirable PTO speed? This makes "tailgating" material with one impossible. Am I thinking about that correctly? If I am right that is literally the only drawback to one of those units. They are the quintessential Mack vocational transmission that pretty much cemented Mack's reputation as a "work truck".

Just called the owner which was a straight up guy on twin stick. He said the frame was rough. Said it was the weakest point on the truck. Going shoot me some photos but said if he were to keep it he would cut it out and weld in another piece. He also didn't know if it had a million miles or just 52,000. He was a straight shooter. 

More than likely I'm going look hard at the 95 Mack RD that I uploaded photos on. It needs a lot of little things but I think its a solid mechanical truck. Frame is solid, needs tires all around. Going back out there today and lift the bed and go over it a little more.  Can buy it for around 12,000 and put some money in it and I thing may have an old workhorse. Any advice on checking those rearends or seeing if there is trouble in that area?  

Edited by Ricky Beals

51 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

More than likely I'm going look hard at the 95 Mack RD that I uploaded photos on. It needs a lot of little things but I think its a solid mechanical truck. Frame is solid, needs tires all around. Going back out there today and lift the bed and go over it a little more.  Can buy it for around 12,000 and put some money in it and I thing may have an old workhorse. Any advice on checking those rearends or seeing if there is trouble in that area?

Probably not a bad decision. Lets face it; in this category of truck no matter what you look at is gong to need a bunch of little things addressed sooner or later. As long as the major mechanical components are solid you should have a home run at 11 or $12,000 if your budget was $35k. Leaves a lot in your pocket for immediate maintenance and/or repairs. Being that the truck is from the south and never left a gravel pit the chassis should be absent of any corrosion or winter/salt damage. This makes maintenance so much nicer in my opinion. Also I see it has a fully mechanical E7, which is pretty much the pinnacle in my opinion of Mack engines. If it has compression and fuel it will run. No nanny electrical wizardry. 

6 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Joey isn't there some quirk about the twin stick 6 speed about not being able to move the truck while the PTO is engaged? If I remember correctly the auxiliary transmission has to be in neutral for the PTO to operate and you have to select a gear in the main box that gives a desirable PTO speed? This makes "tailgating" material with one impossible. Am I thinking about that correctly? If I am right that is literally the only drawback to one of those units. They are the quintessential Mack vocational transmission that pretty much cemented Mack's reputation as a "work truck".

Same as any tranny with a side mount pto,the splitter or in this case the hi lo stick goes in neutral and the main box in fourth or fifth..

6 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Same as any tranny with a side mount pto,the splitter or in this case the hi lo stick goes in neutral and the main box in fourth or fifth..

A little off topic but this thread has got me thinking,I sold this 83 RD about ten years ago for ten grand,could probably get 30 for it today,it was in amazing shape,even the rails looked almost new with zero rust..ok carry on..lol

9C6570FE-AD6F-4A4F-8BE3-6E91F8B6D3CE.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MACKS said:

A little off topic but this thread has got me thinking,I sold this 83 RD about ten years ago for ten grand,could probably get 30 for it today,it was in amazing shape,even the rails looked almost new with zero rust..ok carry on..lol

9C6570FE-AD6F-4A4F-8BE3-6E91F8B6D3CE.jpeg

You're  such a tease 😍

• Haha 2

I’m looking at the dump truck near my house and called my Mack dealer to get him to give me the Details from Vin. This is Mack dealer where I’m moving to. Somehow me and the parts guy hit it off when I went in last year. I give him the Vin and he says this truck got a 14000 pound axle and I’m like you got to be kidding. He says no I’m not but we just took a 2000 rd688 in on trade and it’s what your looking for. So he sent me the specs and it’s 18,000 front axle, Eaton fuller 8ll and mack rears. It was a customers truck and he says the truck has been maintained. They guy bought a new one with automatic. So I talked to sales manager and going down to buy it next week for 30,000.00 got 370,000 miles E7 350. Hopefully my search is over. 

11 hours ago, 67RModel said:

seems to me the  corrective measure for having PTO operation while moving was to install rear mount PTO on lower counter shaft. did quite a few in the day unless the newer trans did away with rear set up availability  ,

I believe when the 200 series trannys came out, that was the end of the PTO on the bottom countershaft. I have worked on a bunch of 100's in the early 2000's..  now not so much.. I did freshen up a TRD 72 for a B-Model that I'm building an ENDT 673 for.  but I've had that engine in my shop for over 2 years.  They keep taking me off of it and putting me on a Superliner, or something else, like a B-61... and next I have to do a wheel seal in another B-85, and a rear main in a B-61 Tiller Fire truck..   I am so glad to have the opportunity to work on these great machines. I just put an engine harness on a 2009 MP-8...(at my shop) one of many that I have done... I would rather work on the old iron, and bust my knuckles, then to work on a 'Fake' Mack....  jojo

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I believe when the 200 series trannys came out, that was the end of the PTO on the bottom countershaft. I have worked on a bunch of 100's in the early 2000's..  now not so much.. I did freshen up a TRD 72 for a B-Model that I'm building an ENDT 673 for.  but I've had that engine in my shop for over 2 years.  They keep taking me off of it and putting me on a Superliner, or something else, like a B-61... and next I have to do a wheel seal in another B-85, and a rear main in a B-61 Tiller Fire truck..   I am so glad to have the opportunity to work on these great machines. I just put an engine harness on a 2009 MP-8...(at my shop) one of many that I have done... I would rather work on the old iron, and bust my knuckles, then to work on a 'Fake' Mack....  jojo

i sit and read these post finding myself in total awe. so glad i'm out of that work , still keep my CDL active with the hopes of taking an old B model on a road test. challenge is the CDL  a medical card is nearing impossible. open heart surgery in 2015 changed a lot of things

I'm a young'n... 53 this April..  I too keep my class A... never know when I may really need it again... These guys today dont even know how to shift, I took in a truck today that I have driven a few times,  and I could'nt change gears in it, because the driver beat the daylights out of it trying to pull it into gear.. I guess the clutch pedal is there for looks.. now I have to pull the shift cover to see what the hell he bent..  It's a metric Eaton 10 speed... FRO15210c..  Simple to drive, but apparently easy to break in this young drivers hands... Mabey the shift rail bolt is loose and I can just put in a new one with green thread lock and be done.. Oh well,  I guess I got another paycheck comin'... jojo

9 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm a young'n... 53 this April..  I too keep my class A... never know when I may really need it again... These guys today dont even know how to shift, I took in a truck today that I have driven a few times,  and I could'nt change gears in it, because the driver beat the daylights out of it trying to pull it into gear.. I guess the clutch pedal is there for looks.. now I have to pull the shift cover to see what the hell he bent..  It's a metric Eaton 10 speed... FRO15210c..  Simple to drive, but apparently easy to break in this young drivers hands... Mabey the shift rail bolt is loose and I can just put in a new one with green thread lock and be done.. Oh well,  I guess I got another paycheck comin'... jojo

yrs back i did a clutch job for one of my better customers; milk hauler the truck went 7 days a week. hot shot truck driver came in mouthing off " don'tknow why your changing it, i never use it " showed him the disc -- double disc  old style not the fancy button disc. one disc like brand new other down to very little left. i said that;s why i'm  changing it; use the clutch!