1999 Mack 690s

Ricky Beals

Question

This truck is being advertised for sale on Facebook so I have no idea how to put the listing on here. Truck has decent dump bed, tri  axle with a e7300, Eaton 8ll transmission and Mack rears. Has 560,000 miles and he is asking 26,500.00. I’m thinking 24,000.00 cash if truck checks out. Does this seem like a fair price for this truck? Try and upload photos tomorrow where service is better

Edited by Ricky Beals

I got my CDL last year to drive a dump truck. I only drive in Arkansas and I got a class A CDL. I had to get a medical card before I could submit everything to the DMV for my license.

now I looked at the 2000 Rd688 today and it wasn’t a bad truck. New tires all the way around. Had two wheel seals leaking. A small leak from a bad oring on front tandem axel. (Thanks JoJo.) The air gate latch cylinder that opens and closes the tailgate latch was missing and there was a hole in the muffler that ran under cab before it went into stack. No leaks in the motor, transmission. No blowby that I could see. You could tell it has been greased and I was told it was a county truck and they were good about maintenance. They wanted 26,500.00 as is. This truck was traded in two days ago and the dealership just hasn’t had time to get it ready for sale. I wanted the two wheel seals, oring replaced on rearend, latch cylinder added and plumbed back in to airlines and muffler fixed. General manager wouldn’t do it and I walked. Salesman called and told me general manager wouldn’t budge and I better think long and hard about letting 1,000.00 in repairs stand in the way of getting truck. So I’m thinking. AC doesn’t work, trunion bushings have to be replaced. What you think?

211CDC11-BE10-43DF-86C5-7AEC610ADB0F.jpeg

2169118C-C13D-4329-A6A8-6A5DE5936977.jpeg

You can copy and paste the web address of the Facebook listing into the text of your comment here on the forum and it will show up as a hyperlink. Or you can take screen shots of the listing and post them as pictures here. They both work.

It worked for me. Looks like a decent truck. Just looking at it quickly it doesn't look to be in as nice cosmetic or maintained shape as the 2000 you looked at earlier but that doesn't necessarily mean this one is a bad egg by any means. Some pics of the frame rails and chassis condition would be a good starting point. The Eaton transmission may be a transplant. An EM7 (Maxidyne) engine would have most likely come with a Maxitorque transmission. The Eatons were usually paired with an E7 350 or E7 400 engine.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Or not. Looks like the engine # is labeled in the cab too...

Yea I was going on the fact that its a RD690....690 indicating a maxidyne engine. When trucks get to be this old and passed through many owners anything is possible though.....

Some of the Mack transmissions that had extended range low gears, also used a pretty slow axle. Those transmissions had a huge overgear  to get some road speed out of it.  It's true some Mack transmissions were close (?) to an 8LL.  There were a couple though that you sorta needed the whole combo.  Or maybe it was made with the Fuller ???

4 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Yea I was going on the fact that its a RD690....690 indicating a maxidyne engine. When trucks get to be this old and passed through many owners anything is possible though.....

Yea I completely brainfarted. I've been 100% focused on getting our mr688 ready for Iowa.  Stress is through the roof, we function quite happily in a 15-20 mile radius.  1,500 mile trip on a truck we have put about 25 miles on test driving since Monday!  Fingers crossed no more hiccups! This truck leaves tomorrow morning! 

My 1994 RD690S is a monster single frame, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. It was originally from Virginia and a one owner unit with low miles and no frame rot to speak of. The Maxitorque T2060, 2070, and 2080 all have a 0.6:1 overdrive to get road speed out of the very slow rears they had in them. An Eaton trans will have a 0.71:1 overdrive and the rears will be somewhere between 4.17 to 4.88:1.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

I called the Mack dealership I use and they stated based on the vin that truck came with the EAton Fuller 8LL transmission and it should have Mack 464 rearends.

it isn’t double framed so should I keep looking?

did you look at the rears to see what ratio they actually are to be sure?    terry:MackLogo:

i'm just curious...  can the rears also be 4.42:1 ?  I've alway's liked the 8LL.  it' my favorite eaton tranny, of course I have only driven dump trucks about 5 year's, and I do not bring a lot of experience as a driver..  Jojo

look from the right side, clean the smooth slope of the carrier housing. it may be hard to see,  have a can of brake clean, a rag, and a wire brush to scrub with.  there should be a flat spot on the slope where the ratio is stamped.  some of the stampings are dot's like from a prick punch that spell it out..  jojo

• Like 1

Ok going look at it this coming week. Going look at the frame and make sure it’s the thicker one,  looking at the trunion bushings, spring leaf packs. Look for leaks in motor and transmission. Hopefully after I inspect it if I like what I see I will have a mechanic to look at it. What are some of the things you guys look at when buying a used truck?

First question I ask any seller is how is blowby. Especially if they are reselling the truck. THEY KNOW what we are talking about. The guy tells me I don’t remember it having any blowby. So I drive 3 hours today round trip and truck was in decent shape but I could tell wasn’t taken care of. Took off oil cap and she was puffing like a steam engine.   I told the guy he wasted my time and just left.