460 aset no start

SLEDOG

operating pressure is between 60-100 psi.. did you crack a line at the head and pump the primer till it leaks of, air will bubble out first.. then lock it back down, 2 lines will be enough to get it to fire... 

• Like 1

Also out of curiosity is this truck parked outside? Anyone that would want to mess with you? I find it pretty odd that it was running perfectly fine and then left for a week or so and then it fired up, ran bad, and then quit. If that’s all the case then take a look in the fuel tank…. 

I did have that thought of somebody messing with me with the fuel....it looks ok but I’m not totally sure on that.... maybe I should dip the tank I guess.

I agree....why would it not run after sitting for a week? 

could be.... many years ago I chased a problem with hard starting and rough running, and after a few days, I found electrical tape in the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump..  someone ( dissgruntaled  Employee We thought)  anyway there was a roll of electrical tape in the tank, once the glue dissolved,  well.......  now you have mile long snake...   sad thought's but possible...  keep in touch.. jojo

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

could be.... many years ago I chased a problem with hard starting and rough running, and after a few days, I found electrical tape in the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump..  someone ( dissgruntaled  Employee We thought)  anyway there was a roll of electrical tape in the tank, once the glue dissolved,  well.......  now you have mile long snake...   sad thought's but possible...  keep in touch.. jojo

Wow that’s such an evil idea but a good one too if destroying someone’s truck was your motive!

Quick thought I had, have you tried to get it going on ether? Maybe see if once it gets going it keeps going or falls on its face. That might tell you if it’s electrical or fuel related. Idk just an idea

It is evil but, luckily all i had to do was remove the fuel  hose at the primary filter inlet and tank then pull the tape out of the tank, then fish out the cardboard tube that was the middle of the roll..

• Haha 1

So go to the primary fuel filter at the front of the cab remove the line coming from the tank blow  it thru make sure its clear ! Remove the elbow the line was connected to and check for debris ! If its clear !check all the lines heading forward I have see stuff clogging the cooling plate as well from deteriorating lines !The fuel transfer pump could be failing is your oil level higher than Normal??? if so change the pump and do an oil change!

just some stuff to look for!

Just as an after thought make sure the tank vent is clear to ! The simplest of things can cause so many headaches!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

What you need to do is check that you are achieving the min 60 psi to get it to even fire! does the primer pump get hard when you pump it?

Crack number one fuel line  pump the primer till most of the visible air is gone crack the number 1 and six fuel lines at the head one fuel turn and pull on the lines pump the primer till you get fuel slobbering from the lines and snug them! and try to start with someone pumping on the primer! by this point the primer should feel hard If not I would suspect that drain back valve your thinking abought or the fuel pump onyx"s pic there!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SLEDOG said:

Ok I’m looking for a pressure gauge so I can screw in where the fuel temp sensor goes I think....

There is a fuel galley plug just above where the blow by can bolts it can be accessed by removing the lid! 3 inch 1/4 pipe close nipple and an elbow! to screw a gauge into!