Low to mid rpm ticking sound

R.E.D

12 minutes ago, fjh said:

yup well a wear ! Thanks !clarity is good! I believe these AC were offered with jake or power leash! if he receives a power leash  cam and doesn't use it it will  likely be fine ! If he receives a power leash cam and has a Jake!  different story me thinks! 

Just sayin!

Joey said he thought he had an ASET-C

Fellas,

Truck is a 2004 cv713. Ami370

No engine brake 

No adjustable valve yokes.

It already has the 5" exhaust with s400 turbo and etech exhaust manifold.

Also has the 427/460 stock injectors.

Monday I will be call ATL diesel to order the AC camshaft 454gc5247 along with the valve and eup lifter kit.

I got this cam number from my buddy's truck.he has an 04 ch with an. Ac427 with no engine brake.

Edited by R.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

ok, now I got it... I would like to see a picture of the rocker arm assemblies on the heads..  i guess you have pinless valve bridges on both sides..  jojo

11 hours ago, R.E.D said:

Fellas,

Truck is a 2004 cv713. Ami370

No engine brake 

No adjustable valve yokes.

It already has the 5" exhaust with s400 turbo and etech exhaust manifold.

Also has the 427/460 stock injectors.

Monday I will be call ATL diesel to order the AC camshaft 454gc5247 along with the valve and eup lifter kit.

I got this cam number from my buddy's truck.he has an 04 ch with an. Ac427 with no engine brake.

Let us know how it goes with this ! This is kind of a first for me up till now We have done just cams ! We all know the  just exhaust enhancements help a lot  by the lengthy post on that subject! But Plus the cam is a new twist I think! 😅 Good call on checking the buddys truck that will help in getting the right cam!🤞

Edited by fjh

Okay, so I have the oil pan off right now as I'm typing this post. Camshaft lobe for the number four exhaust valve is good. I reached and felt the lifter roller and it is also good. Now I'm baffled because this valve is the only one that always needs to be adjusted. I will take a picture of the cam lobe and post it and see what you guys think.

are you able to barr the engine around so you can look really good..  what is the condtion of the pushrod, the number on it should be 417... I expect the threads showing on the adjustere nut is different from the others since you have to adjust it often...   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed

I would expect a worn cam lobe/ rocker arm/ bad pushrod, but by now, it should have failed big time..  I really dont want to insult him,  but,  I did ask if he knew how to barr the engine properly to set the cylinders 'up'..  I assume when he dropped the oil pan there wasnt any chunks in it..  I cant seem to wrap my head around this one..   jojo

16 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I would expect a worn cam lobe/ rocker arm/ bad pushrod, but by now, it should have failed big time..  I really dont want to insult him,  but,  I did ask if he knew how to barr the engine properly to set the cylinders 'up'..  I assume when he dropped the oil pan there wasnt any chunks in it..  I cant seem to wrap my head around this one..   jojo

It will sort it self bro !There is an obvious issue sounds like he is heading to a cam job ! I personally would pull the pump pull a main or two and check stuff as you probably would! just can leave stones unturned when your that deep!

I didn’t follow this thread how ever ! Came in at the end here To me that cam looks pretty hammered so I think it’s odvious having to set for the wear would account  for  the setting  if that’s what he did! I can remember doing these chasing ticks and mostly chirps   ! Doing a set only if I was asked to! These engines from what I saw held there set well if there was a gooffy valve setting especially on only one cyl something is likely going sideways down town.

Just my observation!

Again I haven’t seen this either I but maybe he had a rocker stick was the push tube bent? I’ve seen guide pins break and raise hell ! This appears not to have guide pins ! Not what I’m used to! Sure would be nice to know the cause I’m with u on that!

• Like 1

I know I am posting a lot on this thread, but I was trying to recall the last time I saw an ASET-I  without an engine brake, I think was in a trash truck with an Allison and a Telma brake.. jojo

Well this one is a real Head scratcher.no chunks on magnet or bottom of pan.my next step is to remove the pushrod and inspect it.i couldn't do it today because I don't have new rocker shaft bolts.didnt want to remove them and re use the old ones.. Joey I would never be insulted sir.im come to this site to learn and it would be foolish of me not to listen to learned people such as you , fjh,mackpro and many others that have given good advice over the years of me being a part of this forum.

With that said lol.i do know how to set valve lash .cam lobe looks great with no pitting or noticeable wear indentation...I removed the valve yoke so I could push lifter up and I rolled it with my finger and it's doesn't have a flat spot or broken..I figured as long as this issue has been ongoing something might have f-up already..I'll keep you all posted on the progress...as of now I don't see the point of throwing a cam at it before I figure it out .thanks to all for the help.

RED 

sounds good RED..  Yes it is a head scratcher..  If the cam is good, then keep it..  I too want to learn on this issue you are having..  multiple adjustments with no obvious damage has got me puzzled..  You are doing really good to investigate/diagnose this issue..  sorry if I come off a little brash,, nothing personal,  just frustrated for you in my own way,, :)  jojo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

sounds good RED..  Yes it is a head scratcher..  If the cam is good, then keep it..  I too want to learn on this issue you are having..  multiple adjustments with no obvious damage has got me puzzled..  You are doing really good to investigate/diagnose this issue..  sorry if I come off a little brash,, nothing personal,  just frustrated for you in my own way,, :)  jojo

I hear ya brother!

39 minutes ago, R.E.D said:

I hear ya brother!

K so I have seen years ago wear on push tubes on the e6 the ball end would wear into the socket on the rocker side! Due to lack of lube the rocker shaft and rocker should get a real close inspection in my opinion ! You are right to wait on rocker bolts don’t trust them!

• Like 1

Now yall got me following this one 😂 

Almost sounds at this point as if it has to be a pushrod issue, or something crazy with the rocker itself. I'm assuming the rocker bolts aren't broken or backed off? Bent pushrod? I've seen valve seats change valve adjustments pretty quick, but they go the other way, and the lash gets tighter. 

I'm putting my money on rocker bolts, but then again I would think it would have broken the rocker shaft by now. 

I see a lot of AI engines with all 12 solid yokes, but Almost always garbage trucks. But they will even run that setup in thier roll offs with manual trans. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, steeler said:

Now yall got me following this one 😂 

Almost sounds at this point as if it has to be a pushrod issue, or something crazy with the rocker itself. I'm assuming the rocker bolts aren't broken or backed off? Bent pushrod? I've seen valve seats change valve adjustments pretty quick, but they go the other way, and the lash gets tighter. 

I'm putting my money on rocker bolts, but then again I would think it would have broken the rocker shaft by now. 

I see a lot of AI engines with all 12 solid yokes, but Almost always garbage trucks. But they will even run that setup in thier roll offs with manual trans. 

Yea ,this was a roll off originaly.i tried to feel if rocker arm bushing to shaft clearance was off but everything seemed tight.

Steeler maybe on to it here With the bolt thing as mentioned above!  Years ago E6 era ran across a push rod wear issue on e6 wear the rocker gald and dried up wearing the push tube socket ! Causing similar symptoms to a lifter failure  maybe it is this kind of scenario!  cant rule out a crack in a rocker shaft either like Steeler mentioned ! again We have very few non brake engines here I personally worked on maybe 3 all were in MR Models ! So just speculation on My part the cam pic above kind of threw me as it doesn't look that great to me but if the lobe looks and feels ok then it likley is ! The other scenario I can think of is a displaced H ring and at time of set it was off by a bit and then its some how tracking OK by its self! Duno just speculating now!

Edited by fjh