Low to mid rpm ticking sound

R.E.D

2 hours ago, fjh said:

Steeler maybe on to it here With the bolt thing as mentioned above!  Years ago E6 era ran across a push rod wear issue on e6 wear the rocker gald and dried up wearing the push tube socket ! Causing similar symptoms to a lifter failure  maybe it is this kind of scenario!  cant rule out a crack in a rocker shaft either like Steeler mentioned ! again We have very few non brake engines here I personally worked on maybe 3 all were in MR Models ! So just speculation on My part the cam pic above kind of threw me as it doesn't look that great to me but if the lobe looks and feels ok then it likley is ! The other scenario I can think of is a displaced H ring and at time of set it was off by a bit and then its some how tracking OK by its self! Duno just speculating now!

I Shone a light down the side of the pushrod hole and h ring "seems " to be in place .and lifter looks to be tracking right..idk..once I remove rockers arm and shaft ,I'll get a better look..what Steeler is saying makes perfect sense.

18 minutes ago, R.E.D said:

I Shone a light down the side of the pushrod hole and h ring "seems " to be in place .and lifter looks to be tracking right..idk..once I remove rockers arm and shaft ,I'll get a better look..what Steeler is saying makes perfect sense.

agree

Steeler,  I get it...   I used to know so many MACK part numbers off the top of my head, and I kept notes on all my jobs...  now,  not so much...  Nobody cares, especially Volvo...  jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fjh said:

When these engines first came to being ! and it was apparent they were having bolt issues!  I actually saved a few bolts used back for my road box!  had them in there as I had to do a couple of road calls where  guys phoned in had ticking and popping noise due to a broken bolts so we saved the tow bill anyway ! Just put these in to get them to the shop!

So my rant here is WHY on earth  did whom ever Engineer  change from a tried and true 7/16 bolt that never gave a lick of trouble in years gone by  to a just barely good enough metric size bolt! Barely 5/16 to do the same job as the 7/16! I guess I shouldn't complain! Dumb moves Like This Kept me Employed for the last 40 years but just the same its disappointing to see this stuff happening to the product you are or were proud of! 

If I had to guess, I think there is big disconnect in the automotive industry between the engineering and the practical side of things.These engineers pat themselves in the back by saving weight or making something more affordable,yet never think of the mechanic or owner that's going to be f***ed down the line...just saw the other day a video of a a/c condenser on a late model ford explorer that needed to whole front end removed.wtf?...I'm ranting lol.

Red

• Like 2

20 hours ago, R.E.D said:

If I had to guess, I think there is big disconnect in the automotive industry between the engineering and the practical side of things.These engineers pat themselves in the back by saving weight or making something more affordable,yet never think of the mechanic or owner that's going to be f***ed down the line...just saw the other day a video of a a/c condenser on a late model ford explorer that needed to whole front end removed.wtf?...I'm ranting lol.

Red

Red there ain't no thought put into the guy who got to lay hands on this stuff later on that's been that way for quite some time but its has gotten way worse in the last 15 -20 years since the Volvo turds took over they pride them self's on complication and expense the keep it simple stupid left the building when they took over just a shame! It could be worse We could be workin on a international  here Those guys hired a bunch of X Volvo  Engineers when they redesigned there engine! You can barely even see the valve cover there is so much crap on it!☠️ EVIL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fjh said:

Red there ain't no thought put into the guy who got to lay hands on this stuff later on that's been that way for quite some time but its has gotten way worse in the last 15 -20 years since the Volvo turds took over they pride them self's on complication and expense the keep it simple stupid left the building when they took over just a shame! It could be worse We could be workin on a international  here Those guys hired a bunch of X Volvo  Engineers when they redesigned there engine! You can barely even see the valve cover there is so much crap on it!☠️ EVIL!

I rarely deal with Mackvo...since being around macks since I was knee high of grasshopper..I think I've only being there less thank 20 times.Always bad customer service,and price mark up of more than 100 percent of some stuff..and yes ,over the last 15 - 20 years it has gotten worse..I'm working on getting a parts book of ebay that way I can get part numbers and buy PAI.

RED

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:A month ago  I removed the rocker arm assembly from the back head.Replaced Rocker bolts with new ones and torqued to spec.. adjusted the valves on 4,5,6 and the ticking went away...I'm baffled..I wanted to run the truck for at least a month before I reported back to you guys..old rocker bolts were tight.Rocker arm base was seemed ok and not wearing into the head..the actual rocker arms had no play on the shaft.I did compress the spring on the #4 pushrod by hand and it also seemed ok.what you guys think?

Red