1986 R Model Mack Referbish

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and to the Mack community. First off i just purchased a 1986 R Model mack today with a dump grain bed. Its been sitting for 8+ years, put hot batteries in it and she fired right up this afternoon. My question is...The drivers side window has been down for these 8+ years, the track is broken loose or something, window is still present but will not go up. Also the door will not latch. I cant make the door latch Fork move. I tried taking out the door panel but couldn't figure out how to get it out with the window regulator still attached. Is there any Tricks to it I need to know? Also where is the best place to find odd and end parts for inside and outside the cab? Everything else is perfect on the truck.

Thanks!

is the window all the way down?  it needs to be, then remove the large phillips screws, then it's a bit of an effort, lift it up and pull the bottom out then pull down, there may be little tabs at the bottom that you have to clear. it wouldnt hurt to remove the frame that is inside the window opening, and then remove the lower window wipers on the door, the area where you rest your arm with the window down.  to remove the key hole, there is a spring steel retainer in the door, that can be pryed out with a screwdriver and pulled all the way out with pliers, this will release the door lock so you can replace it, anyway , I always fight these window units no matter how many i've done.  I may have forgotten something here, but others will fill in the blanks. the cool thing is that when it's out, you can service it on a work bench, and install a repaired unit..  ok.... i'm out...  jojo

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

is the window all the way down?  it needs to be, then remove the large phillips screws, then it's a bit of an effort, lift it up and pull the bottom out then pull down, there may be little tabs at the bottom that you have to clear. it wouldnt hurt to remove the frame that is inside the window opening, and then remove the lower window wipers on the door, the area where you rest your arm with the window down.  to remove the key hole, there is a spring steel retainer in the door, that can be pryed out with a screwdriver and pulled all the way out with pliers, this will release the door lock so you can replace it, anyway , I always fight these window units no matter how many i've done.  I may have forgotten something here, but others will fill in the blanks. the cool thing is that when it's out, you can service it on a work bench, and install a repaired unit..  ok.... i'm out...  jojo

Thank You for the information! I will give this a try tomorrow. Yes the window is all the way down.

Does an R model have the removable stop plate for the window?  You need to get that off first to allow the window to drop low enough to clear the top of door( If it is like a B model).  If the window is broke loose and at the bottom of the door it might take some finesse to get door panel out while juggling the window glass.

Yes, remove lock cylinder and not sure about outside door handle?(again not sure how it compares to a B).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That was only on the earlier ones the later ones you got to kind of force the unit out otherwise the bottom corners of window regulator scrapes bottom of door opening I think last one I did I Took the screws out of the door latch and pulled it out along with everything else 

• Like 1

First welcome to the forum 

I think Joey and Mowerman are pretty much on the money

My experience with doors and windows of any brand are fairly limited

The R model is more of a head challenge at first than it actually turns out to be

Once you have it out on the bench it really is very simple to work on compared to most other doors in cars etc

The key barrel has to come out as Joey mentioned and the clip is on the inside rear lip of the door and slides rearwards about a inch, the barrel then pulls out from the outside, the clip then comes out the rest of the way

The whole window and inner door skin and regulator comes out as one 

I think we have covered everything

Paul 

Some of this is repetition:

Remove the inner window frame;

Remove the complete vent window assembly;

Remove the large Phillips head screws holding the door latch (in the jamb) and push that assembly in to clear the door jamb;

Pull out the clip holding the lock cylinder and remove the cylinder and operating rod;

Remove the screws holding the outer door handle and pull that whole assembly out;

Remove the screws around the outside of the inner panel;

With the window all the way down you should be ready to remove the entire window assembly;

Remember that the side glass is tempered and will shatter into lots of little pieces if too much force is applied.

Edited by phildirt

Yeah, I never thought to remove it either..  Im sure I will be taking one apart soon, and will try it. No matter how many i've done, I still seem to fight them and invent new curse words... it's all good, jojo

Thanks everyone for the information! I finally got the blame thing out!  I’m still looking for a good place to find bushings and cab interior/ exterior parts. Mechanically the truck is pretty much perfect, just been sitting for quite some time and needs some cosmetic help.