1973 Mack CF - Front Wheel

firenut

I am trying to remove the front wheel from a 1972 Mack CF with Spoke Wheels.  I have the tire and outer rim off, the axle nut off, however the spoke and drum will not come completely off.  The outer bearing comes out fine, however the entire spoke and drum assembly only moves about 1/4".  Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong??  Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

would have to assume the brakes are backed off ? ridge on drum not holding wheel on

Thanks.  The front brakes are "free" and the wheel spins.  Do I still need to back off the brakes?  That might be where I'm screwing it up.  If so how do I back them off??

7 hours ago, firenut said:

Thanks.  The front brakes are "free" and the wheel spins.  Do I still need to back off the brakes?  That might be where I'm screwing it up.  If so how do I back them off??

There is an adjusting bolt on the slack adjuster,wire brush it off first,there is a collar around the bolt you need to push down with your wrench and turn it counter clockwise about two full turns or more..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firenut said:

Definitely. Shoes could wore the drum and make a step near its edge. You pull the hub off and the drum hits against the shoes by it. Pretty common case when removing any brake drum. Try doing as adviced above and you will be probably fine. At least that's the 1st thing you should do at the moment.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I find that hubs with spokes are much easier to get off with the rime and tyre still mounted however its to late for that

So either your brakes are catching on the  lip on the drum or its just catching on the seal 

When it stops sliding off can you still rotate the hub ?

If you can the brakes aren't catching and its stuck on the seal in which case brute force is your friend 

Maybe a ratchet strap or two to apply some constant force and pop the seal out of the hub 

Paul 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 6:30 AM, MACKS said:

There is an adjusting bolt on the slack adjuster,wire brush it off first,there is a collar around the bolt you need to push down with your wrench and turn it counter clockwise about two full turns or more..

So the problem is I don't even see a slack adjuster... 20210912_112746.thumb.jpg.00f8f2daeb9f1525fc0624654eababf4.jpg

Thanks!  How do you back it off?  Is there a bolt or??

52 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

That is stop master wedge brakes and the adjuster is behind a slot in the baking plate just like your older cars had.I have worked on them many times and always you have to back the adjuster off and chances are its frozen up and will not move.

if you can't find the adjusting screw (inside the wheel), a cheater way is to disconnect the air lines, take a chisel loosen the lock ring holding the can to backing plate and unscrew the can assembly. the removal  of the can and inner rollers may allow the shoes to retract enough to remove the drum

• Like 1

another wild shot go on the internet ;possibly youtube  will have some one removing same setup . at least you will have an idea what's involved. the wedge set up like most other things  are  great when they work. have taken a number of wedge set ups off and changed over to slack/cam set ups.wasn't my $$$$. most change-overs mean replacing axle/banjo .