Steer tires; 14, or 16 ply rating?

Rob

I'm wanting to install new 11R-24.5 tires on my 1980 R model with 12K front axle to put the truck back into service. The current tires look good, (General Ameri-Steel) but are far too old to run. I always ran 14ply Firestone tires in the past on my rollback trucks and never had problems, but a couple tire places have stated the 16ply ratings are better? They certainly will carry more weight, but I'm not certain that is needed in this application which is grain hauling and lighter lowboy work being all local.

I'm asking for opinions and experience in this arena and really will not be overweight, nor doing heavy hauling.

Thanks,

Rob

image.jpeg.aa0c79f0352050b895fa28f35ba49ad2.jpeg

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Brad. Ordered a pair of these to be installed. https://commercial.firestone.com/en/truck-and-bus/product/fs820 Going to install new aluminum Budd rims and chrome bumper at the same time so when the truck comes out of repaint, (red) should "stand tall".

Need to get to Rockford area shortly for a new farm tractor transfer. What days are you around as I may stop in. Need to visit grand daughters as this Covid bullshit has kept us sidelined.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks again. We'll get together sometime but I'll be through there during the normal working hours and my son has no place close to park a large truck overnight so will be a quick visit.

I'll run those current General tires out on the drives where if one explodes it will be contained within the fender as they are quite stout. Sectioned far too many R model hoods over the years from a steer tire shredding to run these. As mentioned tires look good, but are several years aged, so not wanting to run them on the steer axle. Finding the ball seat rims is getting difficult too.....

Rob

This truck has always had a "tall" stance as do my RL700 series trucks. Glad to hear your favorable review of the Cooper Roadmaster series of tires. A couple of parties I know whom ran them were not happy with their service; but as with any story, the "whole" story is not revealed.

I sold and installed Cooper tires for many years when in business. I never had tire problems but those were in automotive tire sizes.

I purchased "Automann" branded aluminum ball seat "Budd" rims from the local truck supply place as they say they have sold many and none returned. Just about half the price of Alcoa, or Accuride in the same 8.25X24.5 size with my shop account. Reflecting back onto the wheels display, I'm going to send the new wheels into the polish shop to have them brightened up further than production tolerances also. Aluminum tanks will also be done at the same time.  

Really pleased to hear positive on the RoadMaster series of tires. Up to this point I'd really heard little about them and what was related was negative. I always had good service with their automotive tires and really would like to reinvigorate my relationship with my prior wholesaler. 

You run them on the steers and drives? Getting ready to bring my B-61 back out and it needs the 10.00R-22 radial tires replaced citing age. They are actually new and have never been out of the shop having just about 24 feet on them, but right at 20 years old now.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, storkmack said:

Those look nice.   I’m down in Chicago Heights everyday.   Starting plant renovations Monday.  

Where at in the the heights? Thats where I live.  Must be the steel plant off of east end

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:09 AM, storkmack said:

Ready Mix Plant   NW corner of Sauk trail and State.   Officially South Chicago Heights.   We bought what was Miller Ready Mix.  

OK Stark redi mix  What do you drive? next time I go by there I will look for ya and say hey. I always go that way on my way to M+K right down the street.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 6:45 AM, Rob said:

Getting ready to bring my B-61 back out and it needs the 10.00R-22 radial tires replaced citing age. They are actually new and have never been out of the shop having just about 24 feet on them, but right at 20 years old now.

If the tyres were never exposed to the sun and don't have cracks which could conduct water and sand to the cord I see no worry driving them. Just might worth to refresh steers for cheer up and comfort.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 month later...