Started Work on Superliner, need advice

Those pieces your looking for are tough to find. I'll look in my parts supply and see what I can come up with. Truck looks good to bad it sat as long as it did. Hopefully you can get it back to life. Rare to find a V8 

• Like 1

Used to be able to find those clip nuts in a body shop supply...... I’m assuming pedals and pedi still s are still available dealer if not lotsa wrecking yards full of them good luck and if I were you I would pull out injectors and shoot lotsa mystery oil in cylinders also pull off oil line from turbo and oil bearings and make sure it spins free.... good luck... bob

• Like 2

Appreciate the responses, I have a few salvage yards around that I want to hit up so I’m hopeful to find a pedal but I would like new clips. I’ll try calling Utica Mack today and see what they say.
I am planning on pulling valve covers and lubricating the valve train, I like the suggestion about the turbo. 

Stopped into Utica Mack today and they set me up with an aftermarket accelerator assembly and what they said are the right fasteners for both pedals to the floor. These are a cage nut/ clip style deal, not sure if they will work looking at them but will find out when I get back to the truck. The pedal will work and it was cheap but I’m still going to keep my eyes out for an original.

42637BA1-56BB-411F-8E39-43620D25A340.jpeg

630ECBA8-7090-4E53-BBFE-A680E9ECD1F4.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice looking Superdog, good luck bringing it back to live.

The fasteners in the floor panels were used of two kinds. Those you bought attaches over the floor opening to fit the removable section of the floor (your pedal bases attached onto). The bases themself could be fitted to the same clips (and maybe they are if I'm wrong) but what my memory tells there's different style of nut inserts. Also a square nut but "wrapped" by steel with two shoulders you put into the square hole in the floor panel. I think they're called nutserts or insert nuts but not sure (sorry, English is not my native language). Also I think I saw them on restorationspecialities.com offered in different sizes. Actually I also need to order them but haven't determined the size. My old nuts are laying on a table in the shop but I haven't got to them so far.

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks Bob and Vlad,

I forgot about restoration specialties, used to use them when I was into cars. I think you’re right, the clips I got don’t look like what was left of what I took out, not to say they won’t work. I’ll see what I can find at restoration specialties, it’s just a 3/8” nut is all. I’ve been used to working on tractors where most common brands have an free online parts book for reference. I couldn’t find much for RW613 parts diagrams. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goodman Farms said:

Thanks Bob and Vlad,

I forgot about restoration specialties, used to use them when I was into cars. I think you’re right, the clips I got don’t look like what was left of what I took out, not to say they won’t work. I’ll see what I can find at restoration specialties, it’s just a 3/8” nut is all. I’ve been used to working on tractors where most common brands have an free online parts book for reference. I couldn’t find much for RW613 parts diagrams. 

Them clips that are shown are for the removable hood panels on b models. and maybe the door panels.  terry

Edited by terry
  • Like 1

I ordered some clip nuts from restoration specialties and when they arrive I’ll go back down to the truck and see how they work. It’s about 60 miles from my house and I plan on getting running and driving it home. I’ve been taking videos and pictures of the progress. Once the pedals and treadle valve are back in it will be time to lubricate as much as I can before cranking it over. Here’s a pic of it with the hood up from last winter.

C3B0B19E-1712-40EF-A859-1C523C184206.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel pedal and the mounting hardware should be still available from Mack ? I got those fasteners for mine not too many years ago  for mine . They didn’t stock them but were able to get them for me . Pretty sure they should be able to get you a fuel pedal too . Watts Mack used to have them in their online  store under Superliner parts . I think I got one from them once too . If not try PAI for the pedal  pretty sure I have an older catalog here has them in it . 

The air regulator goes out ,,,, very common issue especially when sitting idle,,,, thier very inexpensive and very available..... good luck and congratulations on the firing.... you must’ve been pissing yourself..... especially the way it performs.... great news... bob

I’ve narrowed the issue down to the treadle valve. The previous owner had bought a replacement and I installed it. Unfortunately I assumed it was the correct replacement but after charging the tanks with shop air it was pretty evident that the ports weren’t lined up the same on the new one. It was dumping air right out of the exhaust valve on the bottom. I’m going to call Mack in the morning and see about a replacement. I searched around The internet with the number I found on the old valve (Pic attached) and didn’t find anything, not a huge surprise. I’m not sure if this will solve the issues but I’m sure it will make a difference.

5435541F-A6DF-4224-9214-8FEB9D23EC15.jpeg

• Like 1

Could be a different port connection scheme or just a piston stuck in the replacement valve during the storage time. I'd start from studying the truck's air diargam to figure the way the lines should be connected to the valve. The most valves of the period are typical and too possibly could be swapped maybe reconnecting or blocking some of the ports.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 year later...