Sharp Looking LTL

Bobby Tonerz

They did look nice.  For a minute there back in the early 90's it seemed to me that the LTL'S were finally starting to gain the interest of O/O's, I was seeing more and more of them outfitted like the pictured truck.  Although a long-nose version of the HN80 was planned (and at least one prototype built, anyone remember seeing it?), it never materialized and the Ford big conventional died with the last LTL's in 1995.

• Like 2

They were a really nice truck to drive. Biggest issue we had in this area was the cabs and doors would rot from the road salt.

Other than that they were solid tough trucks. Only the hood where the hinges mount were a bit weak and would crack if you were logging or off road.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:46 AM, RoadwayR said:

They did look nice.  For a minute there back in the early 90's it seemed to me that the LTL'S were finally starting to gain the interest of O/O's, I was seeing more and more of them outfitted like the pictured truck.  Although a long-nose version of the HN80 was planned (and at least one prototype built, anyone remember seeing it?), it never materialized and the Ford big conventional died with the last LTL's in 1995.

This was the last of the big Fords before the re-badge.  Good looking tractor that would have looked great with an integral sleeper.  Not too many like this.

98 9511, Stephen Procter.jpg

• Like 2

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Those things were gorgeous... but from what I remember, they moved a lot more of the LNT short nose ... also did like the later sterling style.., real neat looking rig .. bob

LNT's with their 90" BBC were a big seller with freight guys as 45' square nose box worked well.  And agree Bob- the grill changes Sterling made were a big improvement.

• Like 1

I remember the (new) L-series stuff from when I was young.  They were pretty cool for the day.  The visibility was better than a lot of other trucks  Lots of powertrain options.  I remember one detail from their literature talking about all the gauges being at 3 o'clock (or something like that) when everything was right with the world.  Seemed like a nice venture into what we now would call "ergonomics".

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I remember the (new) L-series stuff from when I was young.  They were pretty cool for the day.  The visibility was better than a lot of other trucks  Lots of powertrain options.  I remember one detail from their literature talking about all the gauges being at 3 o'clock (or something like that) when everything was right with the world.  Seemed like a nice venture into what we now would call "ergonomics".

Ya I also liked the dashboard and I was a big fan of them since day 1 when I was a young teenager... bob

5 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Absolutely on that "3 o'clock is normal..keep your eyes on the road".  And that wrap around dash was I think the first one-and then everyone copied it. Visibility was the best 

• Like 1

I never liked the dash on the old L's.  Gauges were too small, and they were mounted at too shallow an angle.  They would constantly collect dust and dirt if the truck was a dump.  The GMC Astro 95 had a wrap around dash a year or two earlier, but maybe the L was the first conventional with one.

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Ya I also liked the dashboard and I was a big fan of them since day 1 when I was a young teenager... bob

I remember when they first came around... we were on vacation in Florida,,, I was 15 and I was watching a couple of guys delivering soda with one somewhere in Jacksonville I was pissing myself and a little jealous that I was too young to be a part of thier operation they were sitting at a traffic light... and I was wishing I were them ... bob