Seriously thinking about this. There are parts for B models all over the place, but almost nothing for an R. R model cab was used up until mid 2000's so there is and will be demand for awhile. I was hoping PAI would fill the void, and they do in some instances, but more is needed. R model interior parts are near nonexistent, emblems, western style parts, grilles, sheet metal for cab repair, etc...

I cannot find a vendor for these parts.

I know what you mean where I need a few sheet-metal parts for my DM I am hoping they’re still available otherwise I’ll have to make something up....Fortunately I really don’t need a whole lot frustrating especially around here..... bob

6 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Seriously thinking about this. There are parts for B models all over the place, but almost nothing for an R. R model cab was used up until mid 2000's so there is and will be demand for awhile. I was hoping PAI would fill the void, and they do in some instances, but more is needed. R model interior parts are near nonexistent, emblems, western style parts, grilles, sheet metal for cab repair, etc...

54 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I know what you mean where I need a few sheet-metal parts for my DM I am hoping they’re still available otherwise I’ll have to make something up....Fortunately I really don’t need a whole lot frustrating especially around here..... bob

What are you looking for I have some interior and sheet metal parts 

It's called Volmack. No need to keep older Macks around with their mentality. Volvo is not supporting something they had no involvement in. Better get the parts you can now, when there gone their gone for sure. R models are great trucks!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alex g said:

Thanks, but I am talking about brand new oem spec parts. I know of at least 4 valueliners I would go get right now if I knew parts were readily available. Somebody needs to step up with a parts solution. I don't for the life of me understand why you can get more B parts than R parts. A lot of R models are still working and need parts support. I know volvo will never do it, but PAI could and should.

Volvo (and a lot of other truck makers) strategy is to incent the original owner to trade the truck in at 5 years or less of life, and for the truck to be scrapped by 10. I'm in a Facebook group with a bunch of people running the new Mack Anthems, with the new 13 liter engine, the turbo linked to the crankshaft, automated manual, and long gearing they're getting 9 MPG. But that transmission is fragile and after the 5 year/750K mile warranty runs out a rebuild often costs more than the truck is worth. For a profitable OTR operation that can write the truck off for tax purposes in 5 years that's OK, but most Macks are sold to construction and vocational users where operations are seasonal and mileages are much lower than OTR. A traditional Mack in vocational use was usually good for at least 20 years and scrapped because the cab rusted out with plenty of life left in the drivetrain. Thus, while I wouldn't expect the local Mack dealer to stock B model parts, parts for the Rs, DMs, and Mack 12 liter engines that were sold new barely a decade ago should be available for at least another decade.

• Like 2

There needs to be a solid supplier for all the interior and trim parts for the R models. I don't know why the people that make the B model stuff won't step up.

Up until a few years ago a lot of the R model parts were available from Mack. When I started accumulating parts for my B it was at the 25 year old mark and parts were getting harder to get. Same for my 89 Superliner, got stuff from Mack until a few years ago, about 25 years after production for that model stopped. One big thing is in 2000 Volvo took over and most of the Pre-2000 Mack factory parts have been depleted by now & by design not coincidence. 

Most of the B model stuff is gone too. What is left is expensive or cheap Chinese knockoffs. A lot of the guys that were interested and made the parts are retired and the diminished demand makes for low profit so why do it to feed the family? Lancaster Upholstery did make interior kits for B & L cabs but can not get the tan material anymore. I was thinking of making R model interiors by actually stitching them instead of heat setting the vinyl. Why? because I have the machine to do it that way and have the knowledge to do it. Lastly I don't need to feed the family as I am retired and would do it as long as it was fun. Even doing it this way in the USA a full R Model kit in any color would be around $1800- $2000. After paying for material and labor to make it happen and me to get $200-250 per kit. They would not be original but what I could do with the equipment I have, it would be better than factory... but who would buy these kits? Could get it done in China for far less but not by me. 

The stuff can be made but by who and for how much? The people you talk about in this country are gone as well as the materials and manufacturing skills, sorry to say.:Mixer1: 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, alex g said:

Thanks for the response I’ll let you know tomorrow I also have some  sheet metal parts I’m going to be selling soon that I didn’t need I’m sure somebody can use them thanks bob

agree with B model stuff being poor quality. and if it is good quality its priced right out of the weekend restorers price range.  same with seats. id buy about 4-6 beige Bulldog embossed 905 seats right now and about 4 B model headliners

Edited by Maddog13407

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Bought some real nice marker lites from Amazon while back and they don’t quite fit right... Decided to just paint the lamps and change the lenses if possible unless I can  find replacements relatively reasonable .... bob

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Even thought about going to a later design not really that concerned about keeping it original as long as they look good... bob

That's me. I am not that worried about it being resto correct. Mine are working trucks that I would like to have a nice interior in. Preferably one that is insulated so I can add red dot air.