I have a 1951 LJ , it came new with a TRD-150 Trans , It went out back in the 70s when we still used the truck, we put a 10 speed direct in it , the original trans was probably hauled off for junk , I’m restoring the truck and while I have the cab off I want to put a TRD-150 back in it just for the overdrive, I have a LJ parts truck with a TRDX-150 , I have read these have lower gears for dumps or cement trucks ( this parts truck was used for house moving )  Does anyone know if it is still a overdrive , like the original TRD-150 ? Thanks Dean 

19 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Thought I heard somebody say a while back it’ll have a.o at the end Of serial number I have a manual if nobody else answers I will go get it definitely helps to have long legs... bob

It’s on thread (T673?) in engines and transmissions

I bought a five and a four Out of a B model years ago  I’m still Not sure if it’s going to fit or what the top and is going to be not really concerned since probably not going to be going to far with it anyway but tall gears are always nice ... bob

I would pull off the top cover and watch the gears. Including how bad or rusty they are. Identifying an OD tranny against a direct one is quite easy with the cover off. You see 5 gear wheels on the top shaft. The 1st at the front is a constant mesh (actually a drive pinion). The 2nd from the front could be 5th (OD) or 3rd. Relate the size of it to the front gear (constant mesh). If it's less in size it means it allows the shaft spinning faster than the constant mesh so it's OD. If it's slightly larger than the Constant mesh gear (and every next gear is larger in any case) it works as 3rd and the highest gear in the tranny is Direct.

You shift that gear wheel in when put the lever into right forward position. It it's OD you first shift Direct and than that spot. If it's 3rd you shift it and than Direct. This explains why old Mack transmissions had different shift patterns for Direct and OD units.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I pulled of the top and your correct about the gears, I also marked and turned the input and the output outran it , then dropped 1 gear ( direct) and it was 1 to 1 , And yes the TRDX will have a super low 1st gear, it took 12 1/2 turns on input for the outputs 1 turn ! Thank y’all for the advice! I’m going to use it In the LJ 

• Like 1