Odd Trucks

Timothy Maikshilo

Years ago the gentleman I worked for bought a white single axle cab over at an auction. We used it as a yard donkey. A very short frame air start detroit and you could connect a "jif" under the frame for transport. Crazy hard to see out of no power steering truck that someone behind a desk ordered :pat: Tim

White Road "commode"? Air starter, and JIF lock. Sounds like a former Roadway unit or some other freight hauler. Roadway loved those air starters.

When I was at Parrish Leasing/Brothers Express and both companies were experiencing growing pains, we aquired various odd trucks and partial fleets to keep everyone going. One kinda odd (too us anyways) was an IHC 4200 Transtar with a 6V DD and an aluminum frame. Another was a S/A IHC S model, model unknown, but it had the IHC "Fleet" design paint scheme, but had been hit front and the hood replaced with the incorrect model S model hood. The hood was more than an inch wider on either side than the cab! An over site as it rolled thru the auction line with the hood tilted forward (suppose the owner was the one who tilted the hood and stayed near?). We had some tandem GMC Brig's talk about sitting on the floor. I think I know where Pete owners buy their seats. We did end up with one "special" truck during a growing period. Parrish bought a Freedom Edition MH which was sold only a few years ago to a company in Lima, OH who is in the process of running it into the ground.

Terry

Here is a good one for you.

An old friend of my dad's had a reefer company and he only bought glider kits. Back when the T-600 first came out(early 1980's) he bought a T-600 aerodyne glider kit and put a 300 Mack engine in it. That truck ran everywhere. It was very neat to watch that truck go down the road and listen to it at the same time. :lol:

Oh yeah, almost forgot,

Another friend of my dad's has aold R Model (1968 approx.) with a box sleeper,250 Thermodyne with a quadraplex. He has a straight pipe mounted through the hood! It comes out in front of the windshield near the center on the pass. side. That truck has been like that for at least 25 years! :o

White Road "commode"?  Air starter, and JIF lock.  Sounds like a former Roadway unit or some other freight hauler.  Roadway loved those air starters.

When I was at Parrish Leasing/Brothers Express and both companies were experiencing growing pains, we aquired various odd trucks and partial fleets to keep everyone going.  One kinda odd (too us anyways) was an IHC 4200 Transtar with a 6V DD and an aluminum frame.  Another was a S/A IHC S model, model unknown, but it had the IHC "Fleet" design paint scheme, but had been hit front and the hood replaced with the incorrect model S model hood.  The hood was more than an inch wider on either side than the cab!  An over site as it rolled thru the auction line with the hood tilted forward (suppose the owner was the one who tilted the hood and stayed near?).  We had some tandem GMC Brig's  talk about sitting on the floor.  I think I know where Pete owners buy their seats.  We did end up with one "special" truck during a growing period.  Parrish bought a Freedom Edition MH which was sold only a few years ago to a company in Lima, OH who is in the process of running it into the ground.

Terry

It was a commode alright! I've driven a couple brigs. too sit you butt on the floor for a punishing ride and how about some of the old Reo's,trying to see over the wheel and little round mirrors that you had to bring up your rpm's so you could see because they shock so bad :blink: Tim

I have seen a few of those KW with the engine under the single seat cab. the cab was off centered

werid looking truck??

Trent, those are some wierd looking kenworths. I drove a crane carrier triaxle dump before. It was one of Roncarri's old trucks, boy that was pretty stange too.Tim

Yeah, that was the old Kenworth CBE, my Dad ran one of those for Yellow way back in the sixties, had the sleeper laid out behind the cab and the engine compartment, single axle with a JT175, 5 speed main box with a cable operated two speed rear end, geared for 53 MPH but rarely went that fast....nasty truck according to him.....

Yeah, that was the old Kenworth CBE, my Dad ran one of those for Yellow way back in the sixties, had the sleeper laid out behind the cab and the engine compartment, single axle with a JT175,  5 speed main box with a cable operated two speed rear end, geared for 53 MPH but rarely went that fast....nasty truck according to him.....

How things have changed over the years. You put a young person in one of those trucks now a days and they would laugh at you. The new trucks have got stuff the guys who started over the road and construction would have never dreamed of,Tim

MY DAD HAS AN R MODEL WITH THE STACK OUT THE HOOD, HE PUT THAT STACK THERE FOR TRUCK PULLIN. IT ALSO HAS ONE OF THE RAREST MACK TRANSMISSIONS TOO. IT HAS REV. AND 1-5 ON ONE STICK AND ON THE OTHER STICK IT HAS DIRECT OND OVERDRIVE .

HE SAID IT IS THE HIGHEST GEARED TRANS EVER MADE .60 IS THE FINAL DRIVE. THE TRUCK RUNS 73 MPH @ 2500 RPM THEN U PUT IN OVERDRIVE AND IT DROPS BACK TO 1200 RPM THIS OLD MACK HAS BLOWN MORE PETERBILTS TO THE WEEDS THAN I CAN COUNT.LOL. ITS A BLAST TO DRIVE. WHEN U GET THAT THING ON THE ROAD THE C.B. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR AT AN AUCTION. JOE

ILL GET SOME PICS FOR U GUYS.

Looking at a B 73 with a duplex and a Mack 3 speed Aux box that hangs off a couple of factory cross members behind the cab!!

If two sticks don't mess you up, try this one with three!!!

Packer

I once saw this same setup in a B on ebay a long while back. lol 27 foward and 6 reverse speeds to choose from.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I once saw this same setup in a B on ebay a long while back. lol 27 foward and 6 reverse speeds to choose from.

The coolest tranny I got to run was in a P&H 140 ton crane. In the lower it had a 400 cummins and a 20 speed spicer. Boy that thing could climb out of any hole!Tim :thumb:

Looking at a B 73 with a duplex and a Mack 3 speed Aux box that hangs off a couple of factory cross members behind the cab!!

If two sticks don't mess you up, try this one with three!!!

In dec. issue of Overdrive there are a bunch of odd trucks of which I've never seen before like the Strick cab-under....wow different,Tim