MACK Western hood rollers (air ride cab)

Years ago I put a superliner cab air suspension on my truck. during the upgrade i also put R model hood rollers on the cowl. the issue is the driver side of the hood does not make contact with the roller. I raised the rollers 1/2", moved them forward but its still resting the cowl. im wondering if i am missing a part?

anyone have a pic of a western mack with the hood / roller assembly?

Thank you

20200120_150002.jpg

20200120_145956.jpg

26 minutes ago, seyser said:

They must have used different setups over the years. My 79 R has flat metal plates on the cab side and round rubber hockey pucks on the hood side.

I believe that is a non air ride set up, the poster has a air ride cab, has a roller to move with the cab.    terry:MackLogo:

I don't have a photo Trent but the pads that mount on the underside of the hood are different for the rollers to bear against with air ride.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

87195b1c36da5f16a0e6d21c5b70b2f5.jpg

This is two pieces the first piece bolts to the hood through the center of the bracket you have, I think the bolt is 3/8" fine tread, then the channel shaped piece attaches to it with two screws and nuts

The parts are NLA trough Mack but it looks like PAI now has them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

This is two pieces the first piece bolts to the hood through the center of the bracket you have, I think the bolt is 3/8" fine tread, then the channel shaped piece attaches to it with two screws and nuts

7 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

(driverside) I have the plate that bolts to the hood but not that channel.  where can i find a current Pai catalog. i thought i need to be a distributor to access their online parts. thats what i was told years ago. 

thank you

(driverside) I have the plate that bolts to the hood but not that channel.  where can i find a current Pai catalog. i thought i need to be a distributor to access their online parts. thats what i was told years ago. 

thank you

The plate you have is the one that is riveted to the hood. Make shore the rivets are good and use the correct ones if you have to replace them. McMaster Carr has the rivets for the fiberglass

You just need to register on the PAI website and you will get an email with your password and then you can log in and view/print the catalog pages

yep i ordered new rollers last week and fitted them yesterday hopeful it would fix the hood rest issues but I suspect i need that channel attached to the plate. previously that plate had a large rubber puck bolted to it. i removed the puck thinking the new rollers would make contact on the plate but they dont.

3 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

The plate you have is the one that is riveted to the hood. Make shore the rivets are good and use the correct ones if you have to replace them. McMaster Carr has the rivets for the fiberglass

You just need to register on the PAI website and you will get an email with your password and then you can log in and view/print the catalog pages

ill try that tonight. thank you

yep i ordered new rollers last week and fitted them yesterday hopeful it would fix the hood rest issues but I suspect i need that channel attached to the plate. previously that plate had a large rubber puck bolted to it. i removed the puck thinking the new rollers would make contact on the plate but they dont.

That explains why your hood looks like it is setup for the fixed cab

The passenger side channel is for the fixed cab, I actually need one of those

You will need two of the channels and two spacers

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

That explains why your hood looks like it is setup for the fixed cab

The passenger side channel is for the fixed cab, I actually need one of those

You will need two of the channels and two spacers

got a assembly on Ebay tonight. need to source one more.. i also got set up on pai... great to see so many aftermarket parts available since Volvo is of little help these days

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the help with this. I also need to give thanks to Josh Yoos as he explained how he converted many of his trucks to Air ride cab. 

For those who are looking to do this conversion here is what worked for me.

I unbolted the old solid mount hood rests from the fire wall and replaced with R model hood Roller brackets that bolted right up to the same location on the firewall. I then installed these parts on the Hood. they were direct bolt on after the old solid mount pads were removed.

Hood Roller #55MX26

Hood Bracket #140QM213

Hood plate #140QM212

20200120_150002.jpg

hood.jpg

hood 2.jpg

20200129_115749.jpg

• 3 years later...

Working on a Superliner 1 and converting the hood over to rollers but having a little difficult getting things to line up.  Using salvaged parts the hood seems to sit about half an inch high where the hood meets the cowl.  

Are there different height hood brackets?IMG_7780.jpeg.73d906adfc15508da21d9c9f71cc430d.jpeg

IMG_7781.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

Edited by PMC

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, PMC said:

Working on a Superliner 1 and converting the hood over to rollers but having a little difficult getting things to line up.  Using salvaged parts the hood seems to sit about half an inch high where the hood meets the cowl.  

Are there different height hood brackets?IMG_7780.jpeg.73d906adfc15508da21d9c9f71cc430d.jpeg

IMG_7781.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

Maybe use smaller roller diameter to compensate?

That’s a good idea, looks like they could be turned down to work.  

I did the opposite and made thinner brackets that mount on the hood. Seems to work ok.  

thanks

pmc 

Edited by PMC
  • Like 2