F 797 ST

The Page box looks like that's your lift axle control. Knob is the regulator to adjust pressure to the lift axle bags. Gauge on top of the dash could be for brake application pressure.  See if it rises when you hit the brakes. Kind of a useless gauge, I've seen Pete's with brake gauges. Either you have enough pressure to stop or you don't and you need to push the pedal harder. Don't need a gauge to tell you that!

• Like 1

Thanks all. I got almost 80 pages of build sheets from the Mack Museum. Hendrickson  RT 440 suspension  Eaton 44 RTC two speed tandem axles with no mention of a lift axle. Someone must have added a lift axle. Maybe the military. I thought it would have been ordered that way. There is a switch in the cab for a Holland fifth wheel. I think JoheH is correct on the air gauge for the brakes. The wires going to thru the backing plates is still a question.  

Seems like someone just removed the missile at the last moment you provided the purchase. Hope you'll be able to manage all those gauges and other stuff sucessfully enough without that sure expensive option.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

FMVSS 121 ordered the installation of ABS in the mid 1970's. It was allowed to be disconnected as it was SO troublesome. That is what your wires are for to connect to a hall effect pickup reading a "tone ring" which spins with wheel rotation. The tone ring could be called a "reluctor", (same thing different name).

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The face of the air gauge says turner quick lift.

Turner and page merged at some point so that gauge may be related to the lift axle.

I do agree that the wires going to the brakes are probably for an early abs system. It seem to remember that the early abs was a POS and commonly disabled or removed.

I think there is the remains of an ABS system on the military dolly in my storage yard

The wire goes into the flange the holds the brake spider to the axle housing

The sheet metal covers, held on by the small bolts, are really just dust covers.

We remove the dust covers and leave them off so that junk does not get trapped in there and you can easily tell if an axle seal is leaking

The early ABS makes sense.  Four were made at the same time for ATAC . After the military sold the truck a fire department bought it and took the fifth wheel off and used it as a water tanker. Not sure about the missile launcher idea. 

My water wagon has much the same setup for the Neway "tag" axle. It is air down, spring up, with a regulator and gauge to set applied pressure on this axle:

image.jpeg.88c84e058d3eaaa2234af7eacaf528a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.53df5b9fbb4c88e5a7d23b6ef243693f.jpeg

I don't have a photo of the dash indicator readily available but have found about 65psi, (indicated) when the truck is loaded is about even weight on all three axles when it is down.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Two lines in front of the tandems. The one with the cap has no air with cap removed. The other has air with the switch in the cab. Both gauges read the same. The holes in the frame must have been for mounting the lift axle . Now I know more than I did. Have been working to get the cab to lift . The latches open but the cab only goes about an inch. Thanks for the help. 

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

• Like 1

I was able to buy new lift pistons from Mack. But if you try Power Packer in Indiana they are very helpful.  The service tech man is great to deal with.  They built lift cylinders for me. In fact they have refered a few COE people to me to answer questions.  If the latches are opening then its down to the pump or lift clyinders not being up to par 

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!