idle speed on a b model

I have an low idle problem with my 673 engine.When I first start it up I have to pull out the hand throttle to about 800 rpms or it will shut down, after it runs long enough to warm up it will idle at 700 rpm when I back out the idle screw to lower the speed it will hunt a little bit and stall it will not stay running under 700 rpm it don't help shifting I would hope I can fix this without taking the pump up to charley at Dunmore injection. new fuel filters new fuel lines injectors were checked all 6 were good. It runs fine and dandy down the road enough power for me but it is bugging me about the idle. If anyone can think of anything here is a big thank you. Dave

On 9/2/2019 at 6:27 PM, AZB755V8 said:

I had that problem with one or two trucks. It was the fuel, sitting there for an extended time it started to turn bad by the smell in the tanks. Drained the fuel, changed the filter and ran them around for 60-70 miles and all was back to normal. Putting some good diesel fuel system cleaner in also helped. Do not start adjusting the pump for anything before checking the fuel. 

Plus one on what AZB says. When I was turning wrenches we ran into some real head scratchers that ended up being bad fuel.

I have fresh fuel I keep steeling it out of the truck for my other tractors when i'm to lazy to run out to get 5 or 10 gallons.anything with fuel gets fuel additives. Yesterday I had a talk with a guy at a different injection shop told me the slip drive is shot he said he's been fixing injection pumps for 40 years and he seen and heard macks acting just the same as mine good news I have a pump ass. that the only good thing is that slip drive and some of the governor parts. I just wish I could take the governor of without taking the whole pump off.I guess I have seen stuff like this but I seem to forget people tell me you did this for me or I made parts for them and I don't remember any more. Back in the 70's I worked at a fleet garage and I worked on r's and f's with the 675's 

1 hour ago, davehummell said:

this morning I took the pump to diesel power service out in Williamsport pa. I had a talk with the guy that does the pumps he is old enough to have worked on b 's for stroeman bread company . some one shimmed the high idle spring up so the low idle wouldn't work but I could get 2300 on high idle. I dropped the pump of at 11:30 and it was done by 2:45 I don't know how much but at this point I don't care. I thought the service was very good, pleasant people to deal with the guy explained a lot to me over the phone. I just thought I would give them an attaboy for not trying to over inflate the repairs I needed.

Nice to have somebody that has worked on them before.     terry:MackLogo:

50 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I picked the pump up this morning and the bill was 118.00 I talked with the guy that did the work and he explained to me the high speed spring was shimmed about .100 to much. He thought some one might of tried to get more power out of the engine. He did some other adjustments said it was in good repair other than screwy settings.

be sure to let us know how it runs.    terry:MackLogo:

When I spoke to local shop about "maybe" looking at my 237 pump, they were talking $3000 range for a rebuild!!!    Yowza!!!!  I was going to have them recalibrate it to a thermodyne setting, but that was just a bit much.  It runs fine.

Glad to hear you got yours tuned up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I ran a 237 in front of a Quad for years, ran a single disc clutch the whole time, just have to be a little easy on it, to run a double disc clutch you have to change bell housing and input shaft on the trans, kind of hard items to find.    terry:MackLogo:

When I had the clutch rebuilt, I had them upgrade the disc material from the stock organic to a composite.  Gives it a bit more bite.  Has worked flawless.  I don't lug it down below about 1500 rpm, just to save the old worn out triplex.

I'd love to upgrade transmission........ someday.

Larry

18 hours ago, Freightrain said:

When I had the clutch rebuilt, I had them upgrade the disc material from the stock organic to a composite.  Gives it a bit more bite.  Has worked flawless.  I don't lug it down below about 1500 rpm, just to save the old worn out triplex.

I'd love to upgrade transmission........ someday.

Where did you get your clutch rebuilt?

I was wondering if there was someplace that did that sort of thing in todays throwaway thinking. I used to deal with franconi's and they would do all kind of relining of brakes and clutches. Back in the day around here when the stripings was  still big I used to reline shovel brakelinings for different coal companys when I worked at Cleveland bros.

Hi Dave, Did you try Air Brake in Moosic on RT.11 by RT.502? They have been a great help on my B67 project. They did a nice job on my rear brake reline. Told me when the time came to do the clutch they could take care of that also. Can you give me the name of the man who helped you at Diesel Power? I'm having a problem with the V8 in my R795 lurching badly if your not completely on the fuel or totally off the fuel. There's no in between. Had a guy at the Harford show tell me it sounded like a governor problem?

brake 1.jpg

Tom out to that injection place there is a woman at the counter and I think just the one guy I never got his name. If you call at about 4:30 I got the guy and he was good to talk to he didn't talk down to me. the phone number is 800-326-9785. I have bought parts off airbrake in the past but them and heavy duty parts always slip my memory. I see in you picture the shoes are bolt on back in the day I got pad kits from McGeorge's and you had to bolt them on the bolts were brass bolts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, h67st said:

Where did you get your clutch rebuilt?

Along with the upgrading to ceramic pucks instead of the old organic disc helped me a lot. That old organic would start to smelling real quick with just slipping it a little. I had heavier springs put in the pressure plate as well, which really did the trick, and not to heavy on the left foot. No issues since and it is a double disc behind an 866 V8. Correct the bell housing is different and input shaft is longer to run a double disc and really hard to find any parts for the setup anymore.  Don't know if they are still doing rebuilds on clutches but South Bend Clutch in Indiana did mine years ago.

Mine is a puck design(I thought it wasn't).  Can get a touch of chatter if you try to ride it out on a steep hill.  Overall a nice clutch.

My 237 came with a single disc bellhousing(fire truck engine), so it was a no brainer to reuse my original clutch after upgrading it.

IMG-20160308-162702-719.jpg

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

18 hours ago, tom1361 said:

Hi Dave, Did you try Air Brake in Moosic on RT.11 by RT.502? They have been a great help on my B67 project. They did a nice job on my rear brake reline. Told me when the time came to do the clutch they could take care of that also. Can you give me the name of the man who helped you at Diesel Power? I'm having a problem with the V8 in my R795 lurching badly if your not completely on the fuel or totally off the fuel. There's no in between. Had a guy at the Harford show tell me it sounded like a governor problem?

Tom, how much did they charge to do your brake reline?

It is nice to get something repaired in a timely manner and not having to rob a bank to pay for it. The lady there probably knows more about pumps than a lot of mechanics today. My buddy asked about a problem with his pump on a 410 loader-backhoe and she told him all about the things that go wrong on a rusamaster.

• Like 2