Twin Stickin'

Hi everyone, I have just been sent this teaser from a DVD shot by Australian Andrew McIntosh. If the DVD becomes commercially available I'll post details just as soon as they come to hand.

this is a 2mb file, viewed easily on windows media player

Cheers everybody

Steve

Apologies..cant upload it here and as a rookie I havent found the delete button either... if anyone wants it, just post your email address here in this thread and I'll email it to you.

Cheers!

G'day Steve

Murray Langford just sent me the same clip, it is sensational. Looking forward to the DVD myself, will have to keep an eye out for it.

Twin sticking with your LEFT hand!!!!

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Thanks Freightrain, nice job.....boy, miss a gear and you're all done, stop and start all over again. Thanks, Rick

Actually Ric that's an old tale that needs to be rectified and forgotten.

Yes, you can miss a gear but you DON'T need to stop and start over again. Period.

Back in the beginning when I bought the truck I had my problems learning what/how. You can not shift UP until the truck is moving fast enough for the gears to mesh(not like a car when you can do it anytime). I USED to get hung up going from 4hi to 5lo, only because I was not going fast enough to mesh the gears. I need to be going at least 35 mph to make it happen, any slower and I can't get the compound back into LO. The gear speed won't let it happen, so I let the truck slow down a tad, pull the main out and put back into 4th and then play with RPM til compound drops back into gear again. Simple :thumb: . Then just speed up enough for the shift and try again.

As you see I don't have that problem anymore. It's all in learning speed/rpm of the specific truck you're driving. I only drive the truck once a week(at most), so it's taken some time to get real comfortable with it. I can drive it blindfolded now and it doesn't even phase me. Now, downshifting is still not quite as pretty since I don't get enough practice of that.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Great clip! I like collecting clips like that as well as sounds. I've got an address for Detroit sounds if anyone is interested. I also know of a site for bus sounds but everytime I use it, my computer gets meesed up so I quit going there. The other Detroit site works great tho.

Rick, To add a little more on missing a gear, we had a guy that used to drive a 10-Speed Road Ranger and everytime he missed a gear, he would have to pull over and start over again. Once I started driving that truck I learned that all I had to do is let the clutch out, bring the revs up to where they needed to be and put it back in gear.

There might be a little "Showboating" there, but still that's pretty much how it's done. Back in the days of my youth, the triplex I started with was pretty much shifted 'UP' with one hand, and shifted 'DOWN' with two.

Here in the west, anywhere you go, you have to cross a mountain or two. Most are in the 7-8,000 foot range. (As we speak, I'm about 50 miles from the Continental Divide) To down shift from 4th low to 3rd hi;

Shift the Aux to netural, rev the engine to 2,100, move the main (with the right hand) into 3rd, and the left hand to HI.

Now I know, you never put both sticks in netural!! But with a little practice, ( 205 hp,7,500 foot pass,80,000lbs gross, you get alot of practice) you wonder how you ever shifted one stick at a time!

The reason they made two sticks is so you have one for each hand!! :-)

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Two hands? Do you have to shift a quad this way or can you use only one hand (too slow?)

Just to answer your question maybe a little clearer, yes you can shift with just one hand if you choose to. I've never read a drivers manual, but I bet they would recommend just one hand. But when shifting that way there will be times you will need to bring the revs back up to get it in gear.

B61Bill, What is that address for the Detroit Diesel sounds. I used to repair and O-haul Detroits and of course roadtest them. Who can ever forget the 6V53 screaming jimmies. Or the Detroits that " Ran Away " on their own crankcase oil. Two cycle Detroits were in their own class.

Randy :SMOKIE-LFT:

Randy, It's http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ryq/

If you like 6V-53's, there's one over there on a Dyno Tester.  Talk about screaming.  But whoever visits will have to make sure they listen to the 12V-71's.  There's 2 on there and they are well worth listening to.

Thanks Bill, it's a great site of sounds of power. Randy

I havn't driven a two stick Mack yet. I read someone mentioned about the manual. I have a late 50s B Mack owners manual. In the manual there is no mention of two hands, but it does mention speeding up the engine to allow for a shift and of course double clutching.

If you like 6V-53's, there's one over there on a Dyno Tester.  Talk about screaming.  But whoever visits will have to make sure they listen to the 12V-71's.  There's 2 on there and they are well worth listening to.

Wow what a great collection. Love the 12V71 in the puller, sounds down right mean. LoL injectors out of a locomotive engine, 85psi boost and running over 6500 RPM's. Great site. Does anyone have any sound bites of the E9?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 weeks later...

If you like 6V-53's, there's one over there on a Dyno Tester. Talk about screaming. But whoever visits will have to make sure they listen to the 12V-71's. There's 2 on there and they are well worth listening to.

:blink: Older Euclid/Terex heavy equipment used Detroits.....I still can hear Euclid TS-24 twin engine scrapers - a 12V71 in the tractor with a 6-71 pusher engine in the scraper - screaming in "uneqaul" stereo.