E7 350 issues with my new used Mack

Hi All,

I have 2 weird problems with my Mack. I recently bought it and I'm in the progress to fix it up. I replaced the 2 fuel filters, 3 new oil filters and coolant filter and new engine oil. The engine runs good without any white or black smoke.

When I bought it the coolant overflow tank was empty. I thought nothing of it. Later I filled the overflow tank (bottom) till the mark. The top one was full. After a drive I noticed that coolant was pushed out the overflow tank. I checked for bubbles..nothing. replaced the radiator cap. No leaks anywhere.

When I use it without the overflow tank filled everything stay good and not running hot or so. Also the top tank stays filled...  Any Ideas ?

Problem 2:

I was hauling last week going up steep mountain roads and going down and delivered the materials to the a owners property with a very steep driveway going down and it was only possible to drive down forward.

My truck was spitting quite a bit of oil out of the breather tube. When I noticed that I stopped that afternoon. I checked the oil when parked level and you could notice the oil out. Once home I she sat overnight. Rechecked the oil and added like 2 quarts. The I drove it 2 days in a row on the flats. No leaks out of the breather tube just a bit of smoke/fumes.

The I did the last day hauling same route and steep driveway. Lost oil again. Just used it for the day and added oil later. Other than that the truck runs like a dream no smoke and very good on fuel. Any Idea's ? Thanks for your help.

By the way the other 4 NON Mack trucks all fell apart mostly suspension :-) 

IMG-20190403-WA0000.jpeg

I have found on this setup just run the overflow tank with just a inch or so on the bottom,as long as other tank is full you are good to go, as far as your other problem, I don't have a clue.    terry:MackLogo:

Several years back there was a Mack service bulletin on the two piece plastic tank to replace with a one piece stainless tank. Not sure of dates but somewhere from mid 90’s to mid 2000’s. I had a 99 CH613 and a 2000 CHX613 that experienced the same problem.  Changed the tank and no more problem 

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

As an engine tips forward or backward the oil begins to contact the connecting rods, which can create a must from the splashing. Or oil is pooling in the heads due to the angle and not draining. Motion of the rockers and valves could be throwing oil at the breather tube.

58 minutes ago, JoeH said:

As an engine tips forward or backward the oil begins to contact the connecting rods, which can create a must from the splashing. Or oil is pooling in the heads due to the angle and not draining. Motion of the rockers and valves could be throwing oil at the breather tube.

Absolutely,  oil is being stirred up and flung. I had it push a loose oil fill cap off before on a grade. 

• Like 1

They created a steep service kit for trucks doing this kind of work It involves moving the breather vent from the existing spot on the front of the engine  to the valve cover! If you know someone that can  aluminum weld you can make your own valve cover to accept the breather!

Edited by fjh

Thanks for your help !  Yes I run it now with the overflow tank with a little bit of coolant in it. Regarding the oil splash when on a very steep grade that makes sense. 

Below a couple of pictures of the start of making the truck look nice. I'm still looking for interior parts and in the future I like to get a heavy duty front axle. Hard to find parts here in BC.

Next is fabricating a beefy front bumper.

I will let you know how the truck is behaving.

Again thanks !

IMG-20190330-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20190330-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20190403-WA0021.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

More than a year later.. Love my Mack !!! I custom fit a new front bumper and sanded and painted the truck. Coolant problems are over as I keep the overflow bottom canister empty. It runs awesome except for smoking puffs of blue smoke when using the engine brake.. Anybody knows what could cause this?

I'm also still looking for a 20.000 lbs front axle. Would an axle from another brand truck fit?

Thanks for your input.

(Current job 2 weeks into the mountains up and down a 10-15 mile logging road. Hope my baby survives this.)

🙂

IMG_0195.jpg

Edited by Richardsmack

Hi Terry thanks for your reply. I have the original factory print out and it says 14.300.

Meantime the check engine light came on and went off. Code #3 injector electrical issue. Cleaned the contacts/wiring. Maybe this has something to do with the blue smoke while using the engine brake. When driving no blue smoke except when it idled for a bit and then taking off.

Any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_0412.jpg

Edited by Richardsmack
adding pictures