Mack MR model

JoeH

Question

Can you get one with a manual transmission? I know shifting linkage would be crazy with a tilt forward cab, but it could be an interesting setup for future needs. Truck would get off road on occasion, thus the desire for a manual trans. Need to be able to power through soft grass without bogging down.

8 answers to this question

There is a septic company around here that has one with a manual transmission so apparently they could be had. If'n I remember correctly, the shifter assembly was mounted to a frame and sealed to the cab  with a rubber boot. When the cab is tilted it remains in place. I never really seen inside the truck as I was looking at the PTO driven hydraulic pump which powered a vacuum pump, and dumping cylinders. The transmission was exposed so could see the linkage and rod. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Last year I still saw new MRU’s with manual transmissions. Theses were all concrete pumpers . I believe it’s due to the driveshaft driven concrete  pump used to pump the concrete up the boom piping. A small local county refuse service here still orders a new a MRU every 4 years and they are always  Mack’s manual transmissions. 

• Like 1

It would be for a volumetric concrete mixer. Gotta be able to hop curbs, get into and out of people's back yards, etc without any drama. An MR could utilize a shorter wheelbase to keep maneuverability. Cab sits a little higher off the ground than an LE, helping it hop curbs and transition to hills in people's yards without plowing the cab into the ground. 

Good to know they exist, but I'll bet they're few and far between, which will make finding a used one the right length difficult.

Almost bought a used 1994 MR C&C a few years ago, had a 7 speed, E6-250, as I recall. It had been a garbage truck, it was to long for what I wanted (water tank body). You have a good idea, MR is a tough truck.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TS7 said:

Almost bought a used 1994 MR C&C a few years ago, had a 7 speed, E6-250, as I recall. It had been a garbage truck, it was to long for what I wanted (water tank body). You have a good idea, MR is a tough truck.

Of course it is, it's a Mack! The things we've made our fleet do over the years always leave an impression on customers.

I was backing up my R686ST along the street one time, customer was walking next to me with a wheelbarrow and asked if I wanted to race. So I started shifting gears backing up, you would think he crapped his pants he was so surprised. Nothing like the 2 sticks!