ENF-330 front main seal leak

Pacifica Pete

Hi all,

I'm fixing up a 1949 type 45 fire engine for my fire department. in general it runs OK, but it is needing some tune-up type work and some love in general. It is equipped with an ENF-330 engine (according to the original sales literature which I have :) ). It has what I believe to be a moderate front main seal leak judging from the the area of the oil leak, and the mountain of silicone applied to the area by a previous caretaker. I have no experience working on this motor specifically, but I do have a fair amount of automotive and engine work experience in general. Does anyone know how difficult a job replacing the seal is, and can it be done in the truck? Where can I find good documentation on maintenance procedures for this motor? I do understand that the condition of the crankshaft comes into play here, I'm just toying with the idea of tearing into it and would love to hear about other folks' experience. 

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

I would clean the entire area off and see exactly where the leak(s) are.  The front seal, the lip seal/gasket on the pan front are the main suspects. Clean it off an see.  

The mass of silicon leads me to think it may have been the "idea" to fix the deteriorated cork pan gasket to timing cover leak.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If you want the maintenance manuals I’d submit the VIN# to the Mack Museum, they’ll give you all the information they have on the truck. That info has certainly helped us as we finish up our 707 motor, it had to be torn down to the block with many parts being rebuilt or replaced.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

If it is the front seal, it isn't a bad job.  From a crumpled, smudged piece of paper, the M330 engine front seal is a 49276 and the timing gear cover gasket is T28924.  The seal crosses to NAPA NOS 23708.  Double check the size once you get in there.  I couldn't find a cross for the gasket.  It is a flat gasket and could be cut from gasket paper.  If there is a groove in the crank, an SKF Speedi-Sleeve will help you out.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

3 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

If you want the maintenance manuals I’d submit the VIN# to the Mack Museum, they’ll give you all the information they have on the truck. That info has certainly helped us as we finish up our 707 motor, it had to be torn down to the block with many parts being rebuilt or replaced.

I've been reading in several places/posts about contacting the Mack museum for information. Folks seem to say that one should make a donation along with the information request which seems like a reasonable expectation, but i have not seen what size of donation is expected. Thoughts?

I’d just give whatever you feel is right. They run off donations so if you’re going to use their services and can you should. Think about all the time spent looking through 100+ years of information on every truck ever built. They go so in depth that they found sales record from 1984 when my L was up for sale. If they have a record of what you have they will find it, and it’s all volunteer work.

But i will say, if you’re really scrapping money together to get your project done, or the money could be better spent, it is not required, wed just like to see this reasource which benefits so many people stay around for as long as possible, and the only way to do that is for them to receive donations. It really is up to you how much and even if you donate.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!