Scraper Convoy

j hancock

WOW!! That's something to see.  I remember my father saying that back when he worked for Watkins Construction in the 60's running a scraper was refered to as running the Idiot wagon.  Looks like they have come a long way.  He was lucky, he ran a B81 on lowbed or belly dump

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I caught onto a guy on Youtube called "Jpaydirt", he has a small dirt moving company.   I enjoy his videos.  He is either working on his equipment, rebuilding "Ol Kenny" his 1693 powered KW, or his Challenger, or you ride along while running the dozer or scraper.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I’ve watched a few of these videos,and the one thing they have in common is that the scrapers aren’t filled they’re losing 20%.We ran the same size scrapers cat 657’s,we would push load them with 2 cat d9’s,and they were loaded in less then 30 seconds with a lot more of a load then these scrapers.

If you notice some of the scrapers have pull bars on them.  They can daisy chain them together and they do the same as having dozers pushing them.  Kinda interesting to watch them work.

Jeff, from Jpaydirt did a video of how that works.  He also put a "switchblade" turbo on his old Cat dozer and took most of the smoke away.  It's a variable turbo, so it spools up quicker down low eliminating the cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKpauTxKxI

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"