1955 B-Model Master Brake Cylinder

FDNY 343

Hi All,

Going over my 1955 Model B85 rig for the first time I realized the Master Cylinder was empty. I filled it and went around to bleed all the brakes. All was good, pedal felt high and firm. Came in the garage this afternoon and there was a puddle under the Master Cylinder area, I checked the Master and it was empty. Upon further inspection I noticed it was leaking from under the front boot are. I pulled the Master and took it apart to check it out and came to find the cap (which didn't fit well at all) must have allowed for years of debris to get into the brake fluid chamber which made it's way down into the piston area, it was almost a 1/4 filled with sludge, piston had sludge all over etc.. I started to clean everything and now have found pitting in the piston area, the piston and a few other areas. I was wondering if anyone has any of these for sale or know where to get one if possible. It's a Wagner Lockheed CG27. Any help would be much appreciated

Jimmy, 
As with many parts, it is not proprietary or exclusive to Mack. In all likelyhood, it was probably a Ford or GM master cylinder. Both the brake master cyl and the clutch master cyl in my 1958 F.W.D. are FoMoCo OEM parts. 

Take the old one to an old-school NAPA parts counter. The older the better. Drop it on the counter and say "I need one of this." DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT IT CAME FROM. This will only make matters worse- you will say Mack which may make them blink, and then you'll say Fire Truck, which will make them go into vapor lock. Just drop it on the counter and say "Gimme a new one or a rebuild kit." Chances are that one is available through Wagner or Bendix. 

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Same thing just about anywhere really. Went to Autozone for radiator hose and the lady kept pestering me what it was for so she could look it up.

There were no Mack fire engines in her database.

Surprisingly it’s the local places that end up acting like it’s a normal day when you tell them what you have.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

22 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Same thing just about anywhere really. Went to Autozone for radiator hose and the lady kept pestering me what it was for so she could look it up.

If they absolutely, positively MUST "look it up" in a computer and cannot fathom looking at the part casting numbers or measuring the piece and cross-referencing, take your business elsewhere. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Is the red item in the bottom of the pictures a hydro-vac?

It sure looks like it, wonder how the great the pedal effort will be with out it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

It sure looks like it, wonder how the great the pedal effort will be with out it.

I rebuilt the booster and properly adjusted it. That thing works awesome now. Just by closing the vacuum rod by hand is enough to apply the brakes fully.

Edited by David Johnson
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 609albert said:

nice job on the master cylinder, is that an adapter plate that you had to make for the master cyl. and what is the new  master cylinder from? what engine is that ?

Thanks. I did have to make the adapter plate but I did it just with a plasma cutter and basic power tools. I believe the master cylinder is off a ‘70’s or ‘80’s motorhome. It had the same bore size and stroke of the original single chamber. I’ll have to get the p/n when I get to work. The engine is a 5.3 out of a ‘05 Tahoe with a FiTech efi system.

Edited by David Johnson