L Fire Engine Restoration

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

I put all brand new parts in that air start system 27 years ago and everyone including the guy that sold me the parts …. Which is still in the business can’t believe how long that tank holds air …. Bob

This is what I need to do to my truck, a bloke I know has a KW brute and pulls tripple road trains thru some of the roughest country in Australia hauling cattle, he keeps right up to date with his air system and he can park over night and the air hasn't dropped at all

Which is quite impressive when I consider all the joins and quick release couplings to get to the back trailer and the age of the truck and trailers, they would all be well over 20 years of age 

My truck, 1/2 hour and we have lost plenty of pressure lol

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

That’s the plan, although this’ll be the 3rd time dropping the tank since this thread began. I was just never involved in doing that part so it slipped my mind. Talking to some people about just getting a new tank made, considering the last 2 times it was dropped it was tumbled and cleaned (atleast that’s what I was told). Back up plan is just to bring an airline to blow out the fuel line wherever we go with it, for the time being atleast. Sure beats having to call a tow truck if it happens again.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

This style of rotating might be the go with a hand full or two of nuts and bolts and a few litres of diesel to loosen everything up 

The very worst thatwould happen is the tank ends up with lots of tiny holes in which case it was stuffed anyway

Or maybe one of those fuel tank lining kits were it coats the inside of the tank to make it like a brand new tank, I  have heard of some really good results with thos style of kits

Paul

12 hours ago, Brocky said:

Capt'n,

Do you have any older style rubber hoses in the system??? If so maybe this new ethenal gas is eating it up inside??? And causing pieces to flake off and shut you down??

Good thing we only use ethanol free with some lead additive mixed in. Bypassed that issue when ethanol tore up the fuel system in one of our mowers. Our rule of thumb is to not put ethanol in anything with a carburetor. It’s worked well so far.

10 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Time to put a larger filter inline, maybe an opaque version so you can monitor it and see if it is getting clogged.  Keep an extra filter in the truck with some tools and that would keep the tow bills down.

These were practices started a few years ago, back around the time this thread first started. It was actually done because we couldn’t find a decent replacement for the stock fuel filter so an inline filter out of a race car was put in, and that thing has no issue flowing enough fuel. We check the bowl every time this fuel issue happens and usually there’s a few small nasties at the bottom but nothing that should gum it up really. We always have an extra filter on hand just in case. The only thing that seems to work tho is blowing the fuel line out from the motor to the tank and then we don’t have any problem for a tank or two of gas. Luckily it was only towed once (since we’ve had it anyways) the rest of the times we got it going again on the road. This most recent outing was own of those times. Any more ideas are more than welcome though!