Rear brakes seem to be hanging up....

Freightrain

When I release the parking brakes, sometimes I've had to pump the brake pedal to get them to release and let the truck roll.  Just started it the last trip I made a few weeks back.  I think it's the right rear.  I release the brakes and try to adjust the slacks and the RR seems to be still tight.  Once you pop it, then you can adjust it.  Don't think the S cam is sticking in the bushing as it moves easily.  Hope it is just a brake shoe/roller/spring/etc.  Don't think it is the can?  Don't see how that could be, but haven't pulled the pin out.  Need to have a buddy stop over so I can crawl under and watch what is going on when the brakes release.  Hard to be at two places at once? I try sometimes.

Only bad thing, I have to have the truck OUTSIDE to get the axle out to get the drum off....UGH.   Weather has already taken a turn for the worse so not sure when I'll get to it.   Don't need the truck til next April, so it's not a big deal(yet).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

21 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

When I release the parking brakes, sometimes I've had to pump the brake pedal to get them to release and let the truck roll.  Just started it the last trip I made a few weeks back.  I think it's the right rear.  I release the brakes and try to adjust the slacks and the RR seems to be still tight.  Once you pop it, then you can adjust it.  Don't think the S cam is sticking in the bushing as it moves easily.  Hope it is just a brake shoe/roller/spring/etc.  Don't think it is the can?  Don't see how that could be, but haven't pulled the pin out.  Need to have a buddy stop over so I can crawl under and watch what is going on when the brakes release.  Hard to be at two places at once? I try sometimes.

Only bad thing, I have to have the truck OUTSIDE to get the axle out to get the drum off....UGH.   Weather has already taken a turn for the worse so not sure when I'll get to it.   Don't need the truck til next April, so it's not a big deal(yet).

1 of three things happening either that shoe is wearing out &s cam starting to travel to far or its just a lube prob. lube being the easiest to fix. or the return spring inside the service brake is weak or broken  another thought  if you have semi metalic brake lining they are most likely just sticking to the drums

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

Remember this has a 1991 Ford frame in the back with Rockwell rear.  I had it apart when I converted it back to spokes from Budds.  It's been flawless, til now.  Something needs attention, but it sucks it's winter and I have to work on it outside.  Ugh.

Larry

try  chocking the wheels and then releasing the brakes and get down and give the shoes a wack with a hammer you don't drive the truck everyday maybe the shoes are sticking a little. have you greased the fittings a lot on the s cam? you got air there pull the lines off the chamber and put the air to to it and see  what happens. you should have q quick change shoes.

Haven't noticed brake lights on, this is typically just after releasing parking brake only.  Not from using service brakes.  Service works fine.  I usually give the service brakes a quick hit and that usually unlocks the brake.  Like I mentioned, this is something that just popped up suddenly.

I can't get to the brake shoes due to dust covers in the way.  Even if I could get the covers off, the Neway trailing arms are in the way big time and not sure I could even get myself or a tool in there enough to do anything.  Thus I have to get truck out of the garage and remove axles and pull hubs to see what is going on.

This was before changing the hub over to spokes:

SDC10747.jpg

My garage space is too tight to allow getting the axles in while the truck is in the stall.  Luckily I pulled the axle before I put the frame section on the truck.  Once I had it on the ground with spokes on it, I rolled the truck out of the garage and slipped the axles in it.

Larry

I'm gonna guess with worn lining and s-cams going a little to far.   While using the foot brake and driving you have some vibrations and shaking to help keep thins free.     When your parked in the parking brake and release it you need the little extra nudge to get them free.   If it does it when parked for short times its not the lining rusting fast to the drum.    I've had it do it over night but not likely any quicker.