Best E9 clutch

Hey all looking for some imput for a clutch, currently our Superliner has a LIPE clutch but the throw-out bearing let go and now I am looking for a replacement clutch. Im having a hard time locating someone that sells a clutch that will handle the torque our E9 makes. The LIPE supposedly is rated at 2400 ft lbs. so I figure I should shoot for that rating or better. The truck is street driven, and hauls heavy. I dont want it to slip and I need it to hold the power! The part Number on the LIPE is 380 702L0989

Thanks all.

12 hours ago, wrenching4life said:

Yea the motor has been modified, iv done a lot with it, it's well over factory spec. I had no complaints with the LIPE that was in it just wish the throwout bearing didn't decide to pack its bags and head south.

If you want to enjoy that Mack V8 for many more years, then turn it back down to stock spec. That's adequate power. Otherwise you're going to be needing parts that are either NLA or cost a fortune.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

If you want to enjoy that Mack V8 for many more years, then turn it back down to stock spec. That's adequate power. Otherwise you're going to be needing parts that are either NLA or cost a fortune.

I am learning that lesson right now as I rebuild 2 E-9's!

15 hours ago, Back In Black Pulling said:

Can get a Lipe with higher rating

There's a guy western Pa that will make what ever rating you want Joe Richie is his name can try to get his number if you want

Black in black I would like to give that guy a shout if you have his contact info. Im told what I need is a LIPE 1. What clutch do you run in your truck? I also heard that Dale Francis has a clutch set up he uses that requires the flywheel to have some custom machining done to it, but its supposed to be rated for big power.

Sound experienced advice about E-9 engines and set up is hard to come by,  worth serious consideration, I have been talking to an experienced Mack guy, he has a long history and his advice is same as Kscarbel2 - he also says that E-9's should be run as set up at the factory and cared for properly as well - then you get a long happy use

• Like 1

I am running into this issue now.  My motor was originally 400 hp (now marine injectors and pump cranked all the way) and has the tiny 7 inch ID Flywheel which limits you to 1400 ft lb clutches.  I think i am going to open up the ID and balance the rotating assembly so i can run a big eaton clutch.  Dont turn it down have fun with it.  Treat it right and itll be just fine.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:59 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Yet another one who knows more about Mack V8s than.......Mack engineers. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

I guess by this logic Mack engineers designed the e9 to spin rod bearings and drop valve seats on factory hp engines for some reason.

Bottom line is everything breaks. If you want 2000hp do it, if you want 3hp do it.  

• Like 2