1937 Type 25 E Series Fire Truck

Mack58B42

On 8/24/2018 at 8:12 AM, j hancock said:

Yes, it is a Continental F6 226 cid made under contract with Mack and will have the Mack script cast into the block side wall on the drivers side.

The Mack EN 11 is a Continental F6 209 cid.

The engine number is stamped on a machined pad in the block to the left of the oil fill and above the generator.  EN 11 example.

Got a look at the truck today.  The engine stamp is EN12

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, j hancock said:

What I believe to be oem was casting #FD 2951.  Crosses to NMC P34232 (Proformer Master Cylinders) and NMC M681 (Ultra Premium Master Cylinder) both available through NAPA last I knew.  It was used on DIVCO, Studebaker, small Diamond-T, and Binder.

If your #2704 works, go with it.  The price on the replacement #2951 is much higher.

Jim, The FD2704 is in and is working fine. It won't say it stops on dime but I have a good steady braking action. Replaced rusty brake lines as well. Happy so far. Thanks for the original part number!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I'm finally getting back to the site after a bit.  Been a long winter, with a couple of cancer surgeries now under my belt, and the ongoing onslaught of a nasty lawsuit by my former employer during it all.

That whole process wore both me and my wallet out.  And the new business I'm part owner of is taking off and I'm averaging 55hrs/week with that, so I'm afraid that before I even got very far on doing anything with this, as usual, time and resources are becoming a weight that I'm just not as interested in carrying as much as I was when I found the truck.

So, I think that I'm going to just sell this and focus on finding another B-model or R-Model or fire truck that doesn't need a complete makeover.

Before I gussy it up, take some pics, and advertise it, I figured I'd check here to see if there was any serious interest.  

I've chatted with a lot of people about it since I bought it, and I've had people tell me that it's worth anywhere between about what I paid for it, and $20K as it sits.  I think that the $20K is a bit high, but I'll probably start it at about $10K.  It does seem that this is a pretty rare bird. 

It does run - it was driven off the trailer into my building, but it needs a fuel pump and gas tank (or for the current tank to get a good cleaning).

I just put 2 new tires on the front (Coker/Firestone).  One of the back ones is low, but I don't know if that's because it sat for 25 yrs, or if it still has a leak.  It has been leaking what looks like transmission fluid, and I was told the tranny does have a slight crack.  But it comes with a spare.  There are are no windows or cranks, but I have an extra door with the hardware, and the gears should be an easy copy.  And the front end is out of alignment, but that looks pretty straightforward.  I do have the front bumper.  I assume it will need brake work, but I have not gotten far enough into it to know just how much.

Otherwise, physically, it's pretty much complete.  The s/n is 25 S 1009.  

If the not running factor makes you nervous, I wouldn't mind putting in a fuel pump and fuel cell so that it actually runs, but that would up the price a little....

If anyone is interested, PM me, and we can talk more about it.  Truck is currently in Westerly RI.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

If I had the money right now I’d be real interested in this one, and being so small I know it’d fit in between the other 2 wagons we have if we put them in there right. Unfortunately we just blew a bunch of money and are about to go through some more bringing back our L to true roadworthiness. I’m sure there’ll be others who’d be interested with the finances to get it. If not put me down on the list for in a few years, it’d be a nice project to work on once I’m done with the L.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

• 3 months later...

So, I'm at the point where I've decided to definitely sell the '37.  You can browse the threads above to get a pretty good sense of what it includes.

The company I'm a partner in is growing so fast that I'm working a boatload of hours, and the space we thought we wouldn't fill up for 2-3 years is almost full, and I'm told that I either need to get a container, or find other storage solutions for the truck.  I think it's silly to spend $3K for a container and then just let it sit in there indefinitely.

I did purchase a fuel pump and a fuel cell from Summit racing, but have not had a chance to install them.  I did put the key in the ignition recently, and it doesn't seem to want to turn, although it was used to drive it into the building earlier in the year, so hoping some silicone spray will fix that - again keep meaning to get to it on a Saturday, but end up working every Saturday....

if you're interested, let me know via PM and we'll see if we can work something out.  Otherwise, it'll likely be going on e-bay in a week or two...

I should have stuck with the promise I made myself that I'd stick with running trucks and not buy a project truck that I don't have time for.  But it's such a pretty truck!!  Sigh.....

But I still have the B85, which I love, and is running like a champ!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost positive that truck came from Franconia, VA and the Mt. Vernon is probably George Washington's estate.

Still have it?

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Carl,

I think you are right on target and MVFD makes sense! My wife wanted me to buy it when it was on E-bay. Here is a pic of it in front of Fitzgerald's Store The shelf/ledge on the right look spot on with the detail over the wheel well of the Franconia piece. The booster reel also looks the same. I will text my nephew and have him send me some shots of the photos hanging on the walls. "C" shift works next on Thursday. I assume Mount Vernon still operates their own FD with Operations and Maintenance staff?

FRANCONIA-LITTLE MACK-CROPPED.jpg

FRANCONIA-FLEET.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I pulled the trigger and listed it on e-bay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383087668185

Does anyone have any documentation on where it originally served, based on the 25 S 1009 reg number?  I do see the similarities between this and the Franconia truck, but the story I got from the person I bought it from didn't seem to point in that direction...

And I'm still not sure what the actual year of the truck is.  Wish I had gotten around to sending a request in to the Museum.  😕

• 2 years later...

I have brought this truck back for the 3 rd time I unfortunately am not found of fire trucks. I will be removing all the fire  stuff and building a nice vintage style oak bed . But just for the haters it’s by no means original it stated life as a chemical truck with the mount vernon fire department at the George Washington estate in MT Vernon va  I have a pic at some point it was converted to a mini pumper rather crudely the bed is a cobbled mess and most of the piping is hardware store stuff the pump is under the seat and the gas tank was moved to the side of the body all this done shade tree style.