Here's a question for the community...I've recently talked to two guys who say that NOS parts can be aftermarket. My understanding has always been that they are OEM parts only. I also read a column on Hemmings that said factory parts (not aftermarket). What is your take on this?

I call aftermarket parts NORS.  New Old Replacement Stock.

It does depend how deep you want to go.  Most manufacturers don't actually make parts.  Vendors make parts to the specifications of the manufacturer.  So whose part is it?  Mack or Sheller Globe (cabs) to Mack specs?  Ford or TRW to Ford specs?

NOS or vintage NORS is better than the vast amount of restoration items made offshore. 

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

NOS is New Old Stock(made no matter who made it for the OEM)  Not many OEM actually produce any of the parts that go into their vehicles.  

Aftermarket reproduction is still reproduction if it was not made during the era the vehicle was produced.  No comparing the two.  Now there are some companies that do reproduce lots of parts using OEM dies and molds.  That's good, but still not NOS.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

22 hours ago, j hancock said:

I call aftermarket parts NORS.  New Old Replacement Stock.

It does depend how deep you want to go.  Most manufacturers don't actually make parts.  Vendors make parts to the specifications of the manufacturer.  So whose part is it?  Mack or Sheller Globe (cabs) to Mack specs?  Ford or TRW to Ford specs?

NOS or vintage NORS is better than the vast amount of restoration items made offshore. 

Basically if it is an authorized oem part I would consider that NOS. If it was not intended for sale at an oem dealer, then your point about NORS makes a lot of sense.

The problem seems to me official sellers don't sell NOS. They sell OEM and no need to point it out as NOS if the part still keeps its performance. If someone sells NOS it means the package is damaged/lost or the item has injurys or the seller is not an original seller having the part purchased ocassionly. All this doesn't mean any bad itself but in the most cases the seller is much less responsible for the item's quality than an official seller. So in fact you might be getting an aftermarket or used part described by seller as NOS or a really unused part that was damaged by storage or another way to a condition worse than a used part could be in.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012