S400 Turbo too big for 1991 E7-350????

Would a Borg Warner S400G073 turbo be too much for a E7-350 to handle? The motor is not turned up at all and has all it's oem parts. There is one for sale locally to me brand new but don't know if it will do me any good. I'm starting to see some oil residue on my v-clamp on my turbo outlet so thinking it may be time. Currently it has a S3a038 turbo on it now. Truck runs good but still seems like it could do better.

Edited by jakehaab

9 hours ago, jakehaab said:

If $800 is a good deal or not idk...its probably $1300 or more from mack

If that is the price that turbo can be purchased new from a speed shop for that. Chances are the exhaust housing will need changed to work on a diesel. Checking on Jegs Speed Shops the housing are about $170. The reason for a change will be when you want to start making boost. The smaller the A/R number the lower the RPM's to spool the turbo. Other thing is the amount of boost, these turbos will make 50PSI Plus with no issues. Injectors and pump need to be worked on for flow and timing to balance the increase in air going though the engine. If you have emissions testing I would not do it. With added PSI everything else need to be looked at. It is not as simple as bolting a big PSI turbo on and go like hell. Head bolts, couplings and gaskets seem to snap or fail at elevated boost pressures.

I had upgraded one but i could ear a bad bark like a miss on pulling. i got all 6 out and pop tested, 3 had a bad spray. sent them to the injection shop and they told me they are cook! sent me stock injector back. I was pissed. So now i can hardly get 25 pound of boost and it's still a lazy 350. 

I am trying to get modified EUP so they give more fuel without the computer knowing it, basically it's like turning the rack on any old Mack mecanical engine. No chances so far..

you are right, they have capacity to supply more then enuff of fuel but they dont because the ecm is program to send a certain amount of fuel. If I could find a programation that allow a bit more fuel on each pulse, I'll be ok. This seems to be impossible, so I want EUP that will allow more fuel to be delivered to the injector. It is the exact same thing of when you turn the rack on an old Robert bosch pump. You didnt had to change the injector on an E6 to make it go, we just added fuel to the injector.