Mack wheel rims on a 31 Peter Pirsch ?

The Waukesha (WI) Fire Dept. was given a pumper that  was sold back in the 70s.  The dept. bought

a set of tires for it assuming that a local tire dealer could install them on the cast iron rims.  Not kosher to assume.

The tire store has struck out.  I will try to forward a detailed picture of the Peter Pirsch taken in the early 1950s.

If the rims are in fact Mack, instructions would be appreciated.  If they are not Mack, instructions would still

be appreciated.

WFD 31 Pirsch.jpg

Edited by John R. Thomas
added a picture ..Mack wheel rims ?
  • Like 1

The rims are Sterling from about 1928 or so. Pirsch used Sterling and International for some parts around 1930 and later.    A better close up photo of the rim would help.  Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, John R. Thomas said:

Thanks for the info.  Who knows the procedures  ref. Sterling rims?  Should I search for a Sterling truck forum web sight,

or  what other rims would interchange ?  I will look for a better photo.

At that time the rims and spiders could have been manufactured by Good Year, Budd or a few others. The early ones a extremely dangerous and WILL easily kill or maim you if you don't  1) have the knowledge and 2) the proper tools. They don't call those rims Widow Makers for nothing.

Have you called a truck tire service that does big rigs?

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 weeks later...

I worked in a tire shop for several years doing truck wheels. The shops insurance company actually had a clause about these such wheels and also split rims. We still did split rims but boy is there a pucker factor when one let's loose....😳

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I remember watching my dad do split rims once in a while 20 years ago when I was a kid. They are dangerous. We still have the tools and whatnot, but I'm happy with tubeless. Never get in front of that lock ring when airing up, if it lets loose it'll cut you in half. And on disassembly don't bend the lock ring, it'll be far more dangerous when it goes back together, as it won't want to fit in it's groove.

I do not believe split rims are anywhere near as dangerous as people are making out

They are still fairly common in Australia and I have never had any dramas getting them fixed and or fixing them my self

You only need a big set of tyre levers and a good  size hammer once the bead is broken 

You should always be careful airing them up until the locking ring is fully seated

Once the tyre starts to move up on the locking ring seating against it you should continue to tap it in with a hammer to make sure it is fully locked in

A lot of tyre places I use ( all of them ) dont even use the cage even though there is one there 

Common sense clean rims etc make it really simple

I rarely use split rims these days, I only have them on the float

I would change to tubless if you can as you will have less flats and they are better riding and last a lot lot longer

Paul 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 4:42 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

I do not believe split rims are anywhere near as dangerous as people are making out

They are still fairly common in Australia and I have never had any dramas getting them fixed and or fixing them my self

You only need a big set of tyre levers and a good  size hammer once the bead is broken 

You should always be careful airing them up until the locking ring is fully seated

Once the tyre starts to move up on the locking ring seating against it you should continue to tap it in with a hammer to make sure it is fully locked in

A lot of tyre places I use ( all of them ) dont even use the cage even though there is one there 

Common sense clean rims etc make it really simple

I rarely use split rims these days, I only have them on the float

I would change to tubless if you can as you will have less flats and they are better riding and last a lot lot longer

Paul 

They are the 1930's style split rims with the wheel split for valve stem / tube and a lock ring  or the other Firestone style with a split rim you need to "latch" in the tire  Not the modern split rims.

ac-AA-1015-F-Disk-Wheel-q8a.jpg.4e8a0a027a75b195ae118f6d0518772e.jpg

615369.jpg.e7010341bbc9f2a2d39dd21572167620.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE