Cleaning on the shop:

Rob

That was always a good unit with plenty of power. It was older when it went out of service in 07 and I got the engine.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I don't remember them having 12V's though, I thought they were 8V's but I have been suffering from CRS lately.....

This one was a Caterpillar 1693TA @ 425hp originally. The airport authority had the power boosted when the engine was worked on. I think it was a 1974 model. I have photos of it someplace but don't know where. I'll look for them. The ANG in Peoria transferred it to the airport authority in the early 1980's and it was the lead responder for many years. It was replaced with a "Stryker" IIRC. Now the ANG takes care of all airfield emergencies.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

10 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

YES!!! The one I drove at Aberdeen Proving Ground had a 1693. 

Real "horse" wasn't it? This one was a real powerhouse for sure and sure blackened the sky with a full throttle acceleration.

9 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

APGFD.jpg.655380e7533b5ba86956927f4113c2c4.jpg
This is the one I drove with the 8V92TA. 
E-One Titan III 1500 gallons water, 1250 pump. 

APGFD

It seem the ANG received a new E-one unit last year but I was never around it. That side of the field is not off limits but such a pain to work in we never much went there unless called over. The front section of the photo looks similar but again I've never seen it up close.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:58 AM, h67st said:

If you ever run across a 12-71 that you don't want in your garage, I'll take it.

Well, I looked long and hard but didn't find another 12V-71T anyplace. I did find an old 8V-71 but it's only 255hp so wouldn't do you much good.

I did find this though and remembered purchasing it back in about 2011 for something that escapes me. I plugged it in and it works still so rounded up some old heavy casters, and some channel steel. A little fitting,  marking, drilling, tapping, cutting, welding, and wrenching, leaves me with  a hydraulic table capable of lifting 2000# to roll around the shop. It also has a "lazy susan" top that spins 360 degrees locking in place at 90 degree intervals. 

Was working on one of my little generators and it sure is nice to have it at a comfortable work height. At the lowered position it's about knee high. At extreme height, it's about 5'6" table height. Of course it can be stopped anyplace in between.

I did find a real nice RTO-12513 I know to be good with Mack mounts, an RTO-14613 that is new, (not rebuilt) and has about 15 miles on it for a test, and a Mack T-2100 transmission there is nothing wrong with, along with a quadraplex, a triplex, and what I think is a duplex but didn't get to the numbers.

You sending me on that "wild goose" chase sure made me find a bunch of shit I'd done forgot about so let's not do that again.....

I always thought when "Momma" said she was gonna glue my ass on so I wouldn't lose "that"  too, I thought she was just kidding. I ain't lost it yet so she may have while I slept. The world wonders I'm sure. 

Edited by Rob
  • Haha 1

Not in my shop but there is a Hercules RXLD, and Continental Motors R-6602 in another storage facility. I converted both to propane in the late 1980 and both run very well. We didn't have Waukesha engines on the small generator sets; only 500kw and above. 

I vaguely remember that truck seemingly the butt of all Peterbilt jokes. But, I have forgotten a few things since those days and could be mistaken.

Still cleaning on the shop some more and this is getting old. Had to move one thing to move another, to move another yada, yada, yada.....

I can now see from front to back.

But to get to cleaning I had to put some stuff and three trucks outside. Not shown is "Project R-12":

Since my gantry crane is needed in the front of the shop instead of the back till I pull the radiator on the water wagon, I moved it forward placing it where it'll be needed to pull the engine from the 74 RL797LST:

Knowing how damned heavy that crane is to push by myself and it's very much heavier with an engine hanging from the hook, I added some hydraulics to help a bit:

Just knew I'd find a use for that stuff which most of was left over equipment scrapping at work. I'd purchased the wheel/tires from ebay and purchased new sprockets and chain. The hydraulic pumping unit, and Char-Lynn motors were used from something. The crane moves fore, aft, and turns left and right with a joystick control to D03 tandem center hydraulic valves. Works really well and takes only finger pressure to move the thing anymore.....

Now with some stuff moved I could get to sweeping the floor:

Man there is some serious "crap" in that building.

Was really nice to see some of the folks I formerly worked with. Very nice to see absolutely nobody under work pressure or stress as everyone was retired.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

Nope. It is an ENDT 866 Mack engine. Number matching to the chassis.

Project R-12 gets the 12V-71T. Even you will be a convert once it's moving along LOL.

• Haha 1

I don't know what it is with that camera but it really does not like Duracell batteries. Eveready "Lithium" and it takes good sharp photos. Other brands and it's kind of hit and miss.

Because the shop is so full of crap, and wanting to move the gantry to the front, I had to push it manually sideways most of the way . In between the uprights and inside the tires is 16'3" in width and I couldn't get the travel without running into something. I released the downforce on the drive tires, and shoved it 90 degrees down the shop floor, (as I used to do before motorizing it), then reapplied the downforce and drove it into position. It really does work well but still needs a bit of "tuning".

Few things I had to get out of the way to move the crane and simply sweep the floor:

Got to have a backup for a back up for a primary correct? Actually all three are set up for different functions.

This one I've had for 44 years. the gent I lived across the street from in St. Louis growing up gave it to me when he went to a larger machine. I can't honestly say how many "dozens" of truck frames this welder has repaired/modified by my hand over the years without exaggeration. I still get it out and it does just what it was built to do. May not be "Politically Correct" these days but that welder has always been called "Bart", the homo.

Had to move this too cause it was right in the path I needed to travel:

However, before I could move that, I had to move this:

Really need to get someone in here to teach me to weld.....

Now with all that crap out of the way I could push a broom fairly unimpeded. However, everything had to go back into place so besides being much cleaner, it's the same as it ever was.

Hope to get after the water pump this afternoon on the water wagon.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 11:19 AM, Rob said:

I vaguely remember that truck seemingly the butt of all Peterbilt jokes. But, I have forgotten a few things since those days and could be mistaken.

No, you're not mistaken. You should remember, you made most of them.🤣

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:36 PM, other dog said:

No, you're not mistaken. You should remember, you made most of them.🤣

I find that hard to believe as don't remember doing anything like that.😁

Thus the true statement..................the larger the garage, the more crap you accumulate!  I went from a 2 car to a 4 car and I still have to crawl over stuff to get anywhere.  WTH?   Glad to see you have the time to get after some of it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Decided, "What the hell" the bike needed annual maintenance as it's been since last fall when it had a bath. I put 11K on it last summer and the beginning of this one so time for routines. A little over 20K since I've had it. I change oil every 5K and it was due for service here too. Riding through the overnight hours to Oklahoma City, OK and back sure painted it with bugs last fall. Here is the dirty thing in all it's glory:

Man I hate cleaning bikes. The somewhat correct equipment to do the job helps after removing some parts which would preclude easy access:

And of course a couple thousand pounds of water pressure with actual steam helps peel bug layers away too:

Ya'll former gearheads remember repacking your mufflers? These were getting a bit annoyingly loud and there was virtually no packing left in them. Sounded good but did get annoying with the drone. The packing shown is the remnants from both mufflers. Going to have to purchase some hydroflouric acid as the chrome is peeling from the aluminum end bells for the mufflers. I'm going to abrade them and spray them black for the time being:

Can't decide if we are going to bike trip to Yellowstone, or up into Maine this year but the trailer is near ready and "Momma" is down about five pounds so hopefully we can get along alright.

Maybe by the time kids are out of school this year I'll be done.....

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1