Rob

Cleaning on the shop:

Got to drive and operate a P-4 in the very beginning of my career (they were being phased out when I was a rookie.) Bombproof machines that took an ass kicking and kept on going.

That was always a good unit with plenty of power. It was older when it went out of service in 07 and I got the engine.

I don't remember them having 12V's though, I thought they were 8V's but I have been suffering from CRS lately.....

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I don't remember them having 12V's though, I thought they were 8V's but I have been suffering from CRS lately.....

This one was a Caterpillar 1693TA @ 425hp originally. The airport authority had the power boosted when the engine was worked on. I think it was a 1974 model. I have photos of it someplace but don't know where. I'll look for them. The ANG in Peoria transferred it to the airport authority in the early 1980's and it was the lead responder for many years. It was replaced with a "Stryker" IIRC. Now the ANG takes care of all airfield emergencies.

YES!!! The one I drove at Aberdeen Proving Ground had a 1693. 

10 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

YES!!! The one I drove at Aberdeen Proving Ground had a 1693. 

Real "horse" wasn't it? This one was a real powerhouse for sure and sure blackened the sky with a full throttle acceleration.

APGFD.jpg.655380e7533b5ba86956927f4113c2c4.jpg
This is the one I drove with the 8V92TA. 
E-One Titan III 1500 gallons water, 1250 pump. 

APGFD

9 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

APGFD.jpg.655380e7533b5ba86956927f4113c2c4.jpg
This is the one I drove with the 8V92TA. 
E-One Titan III 1500 gallons water, 1250 pump. 

APGFD

It seem the ANG received a new E-one unit last year but I was never around it. That side of the field is not off limits but such a pain to work in we never much went there unless called over. The front section of the photo looks similar but again I've never seen it up close.