R model questions

I’m kicking around the idea of purchasing a truck to use on the farm for hauling grain. I have found a late 70’s R model that I may have some interest in. It has the ENDT676 with a TRXL107 and 4.17 gears. How would this do for a farm truck? What kind of mph could I expect with this setup?

The engine is the tip turbine with side mounted intercooler and is painted red in color. Was that an original engine color used in late 70’s? Would this be considered a 285 hp engine? I read some places calling it the 300 maxidyne or was that in later years. 

Thanks,

Jeremy

I have a truck with those specs on 24.5 rubber and it does 66-67 mph.  It will be slightly slower on 22.5 rubber.  The trans has a nice low gear and the multiple reverse gears come in handy.  R686 (ENDT 676) were 285 HP and then 300.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Would be ideal for a farm truck, that is a bullet proof combination, will last a lot of years with no serious trouble.   terry:thumb:  and the tip turbine will be fine!

Edited by terry

Is there anyway to tell visually if an injection pump has been adjusted or turned up on one of these engines? Is there a factory seal wire of sorts? Like for instance on the older Cummins 12v there is a tamper proof screw that must be removed which was always a tell tale sign. Anything similar on the old Mack’s?

The 2Valve tip turbine engines were very reliable and easy to work on. Yes they were painted Red at one time. if you look at the top of the governor at the back of the pump you should see lock wire thru a few of the bolts. if the wire is missing then yes it was likely turned up

Seyser,I have the same spec on my 79 r model.We brought 20 of them only have the one left.They pulled dump trailers and more times then not we’re pulling 100,000 lbs never had a problem.Top speed was around 65.Good luck with yours like to see some pic.