Good MP8 Mechanic in northern NJ

Rockwell

I'm in the Wayne, NJ area. I'm not having any specific issue at this moment. But when I do have issues, I'm getting tired of the Mack dealer constantly taking 1 week to fix anything, no matter how small. 

In addition, and to be honest, I'm also seriously thinking of "tuning" my 2011 compliant motor to run better. I've got a great tuner picked out, but by doing this, I would need a new shop as I'm certain Mack would not work on it, or worse.

Seems everywhere I look into, they don't have the software for Mack, and when certain parts are replaced, like injectors for example, they need this. D13 no problem, MP8 no go. I guess because Volvo is so much more popular than Mack they invest in that software. 

And just so it's stated, the dealer I use actually does excellent work. Slow! But very good. Problem is they wouldnt be an option with a tune. 

I'm not in search of someone to do the tune. I'm in search of a good mechanic for after I've done the tune. 

Edited by Rockwell

I would like to point out ,If You do a "tune" you will likely  limit your self even more than you are already The Mack softwear is almost identical to Volvo how ever  From what I understand Unless your a Dual Dealer we are allowed  to see what we have paid for as a dealer !And yes  "ALL THE NEW STUFF" is entrapment You ARE Married to the brand! NO matter what you drive!

I don't mind being married to the brand whatsoever, in fact, I very much like my truck and the MP8. What I'm sick of being married to is a 5mph derate in the Bronx on a Friday night. Clean air is expensive and I understand that, but I draw the line at paying with my life.

Our trucks are our home away from home, our safe havens on the road. My haven ain't so safe during a derate or some other BS in the name of clean air in a bad area or a frigid cold night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fjh said:

You ARE Married to the brand! NO matter what you drive!

I agree to that to some extent but I'd bet 10 out of 10 diesel repair shops have the software for Cummins and Detroit which means they can work on any brand. Since Mack is Mack only and I'm guessing there aren't nearly as many as the other brands they'd be less likely to have the software. Not trying to start a war but going by the trucks on the road stats the above statement is likely true but it's not a fact but just my opinion. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Volvo is just screwing themselves with this policy... Here they are with less than 20% of the market, and they expect customers to take the risk of having no support for their product other than the dealers? Nearest Volvo and Mack dealers are 60 miles away, International and Daimler are only 20 miles away and they both work on Cummins... That's a lot more non revenue miles to run or worse yet have towed a truck!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 4:43 PM, HeavyGunner said:

I agree to that to some extent but I'd bet 10 out of 10 diesel repair shops have the software for Cummins and Detroit which means they can work on any brand. Since Mack is Mack only and I'm guessing there aren't nearly as many as the other brands they'd be less likely to have the software. Not trying to start a war but going by the trucks on the road stats the above statement is likely true but it's not a fact but just my opinion. 

No argument here on this Quote how ever Everything changes when you throw an auto trans in the mix which every one seems to be pushing .They seem to be hell bent on creating stupider people here ,they are providing people with so many conveniences abs atc  vsa  bla bla bla ! Pretty soon you will have  nothing but idiots driving 80000 lbs down the hyw. The upside to that is half of those units will be in the shop having repairs done to all the crap they are piling on these units ! Those will likley  be dealer specific  vehicle ECUs  , As Rockwell pointed out A derate  to 5 mile an hour on 55 mph hyw  is down right dangerous for someone who knows how to drive Just imagine it happening to those that don't , guess the point is that it seems All manufacturers are trying  to captivate everything ! there my be a cummins dealer on every corner but  not always a  KW dealer or a Pete dealer or a Binder dealer and with all the automation  your married !

Just saying :rolleyes:

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

http://www.premiumtechtool.com/purchase/  The PTT software is $600 for either Mack or Volvo. For both its $800.  Then $200 a year for updates if you want them.  Plus you can actually get dealer software programming if you want but its quite a bit more.  The adapter/interface is where they get you. However the VOCOM II adapter is cheaper than the orignal VOCOM that we use here

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Yep , I tell people to buy a new Peterbilt cause the never break down ! :lol:

Funny I heard all the new trucks are the most dependable, trouble free ever built.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

22 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Yep , I tell people to buy a new Peterbilt cause the never break down ! :lol:

Yup me to a PETE a real mans truck!   Just ask em!

Same dollar store wire,  same dollar store sensors on a new and ELcheapo  cab desigin  ! Just like everyone else having to run the same stupid crap for emission related issues! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1