Embarrassed To Even Show This...

SO, besides having two Macks, a B and a R, I also have an old WWII tugboat I am restoring. But, first I seperated it in to 4 sections and was hauling them up my road (1 mile long, 16% grade and 5 switchbacks) in the back of my Mack B dump.

Well, as they say, a picture's worth a 1,000 words....

http://forum.hcea.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&am...c44f45756e779e7

glad you can laugh at my expense!

~martin

1965 Mack B-74, dump

1974 Mack R, logging w/Prentice self-loader

www.somewhereonthemountain.blogspot.com

Only 3 ft.? Was that your first time looking through the windshield and seeing nothing but blue sky and truck hood? Well, you can drive it like that, sort of, but you can't steer it too good. That is the scary part. Knowing that it can happen and not getting panic stricken, is part of being a good operator. Don't feel like you are the only one that has ever happened to. If you could see me now, I am holding my hand up. Nor can you expect that it will be the last time it will happen when you are behind the wheel. Just stay cool on your stool.

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. Had a job to do, took the risk to get it done.

We've all made that call at times.

Nobody got hurt, and you still have the hundreds of dollars it would have cost to get it moved by a rigger.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Martin,

I can tell you I've done worse. I've also ridden a wheelie many times in a Mack. Many years ago I was on a job hauling cover material to a landfill. The material was wet gravel and clay dredged from a lake. We would regularly gross over 100,000 lbs on the triaxles. Sometimes the material would stick in the body so you would gently jerk the truck forward. When doing this you had to be ready for the material to hit the gate because when it did the front end came up. In order not to crash back to the ground if you let the clutch go and rode it out it would come down gently! I didn't personally see it but an operator at the landfill told me of a truck that got stuck standing on it's tailgate.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
SO, besides having two Macks, a B and a R, I also have an old WWII tugboat I am restoring. But, first I seperated it in to 4 sections and was hauling them up my road (1 mile long, 16% grade and 5 switchbacks) in the back of my Mack B dump.

Well, as they say, a picture's worth a 1,000 words....

http://forum.hcea.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&am...c44f45756e779e7

glad you can laugh at my expense!

~martin

:D

isthat a b 57 mack????????

Martin,

I can tell you I've done worse. I've also ridden a wheelie many times in a Mack. Many years ago I was on a job hauling cover material to a landfill. The material was wet gravel and clay dredged from a lake. We would regularly gross over 100,000 lbs on the triaxles. Sometimes the material would stick in the body so you would gently jerk the truck forward. When doing this you had to be ready for the material to hit the gate because when it did the front end came up. In order not to crash back to the ground if you let the clutch go and rode it out it would come down gently! I didn't personally see it but an operator at the landfill told me of a truck that got stuck standing on it's tailgate.

Chuck

Chuck I have seen a guy do this at a dump LOL

this guy was pulling a 24' 1/4 frame end dump. He had the box in the air and trying to get some stuck clay out of the box. I cam in just after it happened but the story was that After his 2-3 trys in forward with no results he put her in reverse. back he went,slammed on the brakes, the rear rear trailer tandem dug in, the forward tandem folded back up with the 1/4 frame and he managed to set the tailgate on the ground. We call it a "rocket man" one problem now was that he had no weight on his drives to get it back down! If I recall it picked up the rear of the tractor?

Trent

Trent,

Ya you certainly need to be carefull when the weight gets up there. The same thing on the road. You will usually live through a crash as long as the load doesn't get you. I've done plenty of stupid things and lived through them. Now a little older and not so invincable I often put more thought into what I'm doing.

Chuck

Trent,

Ya you certainly need to be carefull when the weight gets up there. The same thing on the road. You will usually live through a crash as long as the load doesn't get you. I've done plenty of stupid things and lived through them. Now a little older and not so invincable I often put more thought into what I'm doing.

Chuck

Yes Sir, you are quite right. This all goes back to Mr. Newton, "Every action has a reaction, equal in force but opposite in direction." Very often, experience is the best teacher. You can tell a child, " don't mess with a dog while it's eating." but until it experiences the reaction, your advice will likely be ignored. A truck can be a pleasure to operate, but unequally dangerous. I shall be forevermore thankful to those who have given me the true value of their own experiences, along with their advice. " Don't mess with a dog while it's eating, watch your overhead for power lines and cables, get your rig level before raising the hoist, make sure the safety is unlatched, etc etc." Safety around equipment should be everyone's concern, without having to worry about offending someone.

Yes Sir, you are quite right. This all goes back to Mr. Newton, "Every action has a reaction, equal in force but opposite in direction." Very often, experience is the best teacher. You can tell a child, " don't mess with a dog while it's eating." but until it experiences the reaction, your advice will likely be ignored. A truck can be a pleasure to operate, but unequally dangerous. I shall be forevermore thankful to those who have given me the true value of their own experiences, along with their advice. " Don't mess with a dog while it's eating, watch your overhead for power lines and cables, get your rig level before raising the hoist, make sure the safety is unlatched, etc etc." Safety around equipment should be everyone's concern, without having to worry about offending someone.

From my aviating days, this was my ruling guidline;

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

This applies to everything in life.

Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck