MP8 power upgrade?

little puppy

2011 MP8  1650trq. Eaton ultrasound 10spd

I want to upgrade HP and bump trq. to 1850, local dealer submitted it to mack, they refused cuz of tranny, its not under warranty, I don't Care about tranny rating, I own it. Can any of you dealer guys tell me how to get around this issue? Do I have any options? I'll gladly sign a liability waver.

Any reputable truck dealer or manufacturer would give you the same response- They will not give you a power increase beyond what the truck's drivetrain was built for. They look at it from a liability point of view- If they turn up the engine and it grenades the transmission, they'll be liable for the damages.

I disagree, I've have a isx, and 2 c15's upgraded, I signed wavers for all, they wasn't under warranty.  On both C15's. I upgraded the clutches for 2000 ftlb, eaton trans, are rated on the conservative side, of you drive it like you have a brain in your head your never break it.  With a waver and no warranty, for them not to do it, is ridiculous on there part, 

• Like 1

Kenworth turned up the Cummins I had in it above what he transmission was rated for no questions asked. They gave me he facts and said here's a waiver if you'd like the upgrade. Truck had lots of power mileage was a little better and nothing got destroyed because common sense was used. If you want to do something with your truck that you payed for and its not under warranty you should be able to in my opinion. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Kenworth turned up the Cummins I had in it above what he transmission was rated for no questions asked. They gave me he facts and said here's a waiver if you'd like the upgrade. Truck had lots of power mileage was a little better and nothing got destroyed because common sense was used. If you want to do something with your truck that you payed for and its not under warranty you should be able to in my opinion. 

Agreed!

In cases where there is the small Fuller trans, we do the 505E download where you get the HP but not the torque. It helps. We havent ordered anything with a Fuller in a long time because of this issue. Jumping up to the higher torque Fuller is quite a bit more money when ordering new. 

On the MP engines , Mack charges the dealers any where from $200 to 1500 for the download then the dealers will usually mark them up a little. 95% of them seem to be in the $200 range ( dealer cost).  The dealer submits a request form to Mack via E-service ( email type program)  and Mack responds back with the available HP levels that engine can be raised to and cost to do it. We do about one a week. 

On 1/17/2018 at 12:03 PM, Mackpro said:

In cases where there is the small Fuller trans, we do the 505E download where you get the HP but not the torque. It helps. 

Must be the program they use in ALL of the DD15’s 😂

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

On the MP engines , Mack charges the dealers any where from $200 to 1500 for the download then the dealers will usually mark them up a little. 95% of them seem to be in the $200 range ( dealer cost).  The dealer submits a request form to Mack via E-service ( email type program)  and Mack responds back with the available HP levels that engine can be raised to and cost to do it. We do about one a week. 

Where are you guys located?

6 hours ago, little puppy said:

Good to know, my local dealer I don't trust for anything

my dealer i use (orlando mack) use to be really good but in 06 it went to shit and has just gotten worse and worse since then. its sad really. back in the day you could walk into the parts department to buy parts for a whole diff brand of truck and they would kindy order it for you. its gotten so bad that all the people that been there for years have quit. they cant even fine a part much less help you in anyway. like you ask for a part and to them its like they never heard of it before or giving you parts that belong on a whole diff truck. they have no common sense that said part doesn't even go on that truck. cant look up parts on the computer. cant work on shit worth a dam. just a sad excuse for a mack dealer. but that's the only one near me within a hr one way. good thing is i don't need to go there for any work. just parts and that's a shit show all in itself. and they no nothing about upgrading power levels and whatnot unless it has to do with some sort of emissions bullshit. then they know how to use a computer lol 

new resized.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my truck it had a 445 MP8 with an mDrive and S38R rears. I wanted it bumped up to 505 and 1860. The dealer sent in the request and it was approved however the ECM in the 2014 CHU613 was to old for the 1860 so I ended up with 505 and 1760 which is still sufficient. No issues getting it done. 

• 2 years later...

Any problems with the upgrade? I have a 2013 cxu613 with 445. Mack in Vineland  nj approved the upgrade but I haven't done it yet. Other dealerships have advised to let it be. The difference isn't that noticeable and may open pandoras box to problems later. Any thoughts?