Showing up in style

Hobert62

Nice is correct for that load.   Found its best to let my JD A ride facing forward because it seems that a high speeds when facing backwards the air going into the air stack pushed the oil out of the breather into places it shouldn't be.

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

45 minutes ago, ws721 said:

Nice is correct for that load.   Found its best to let my JD A ride facing forward because it seems that a high speeds when facing backwards the air going into the air stack pushed the oil out of the breather into places it shouldn't be.

Never thought about that before, but it's a good point.  Guy I know that had  a big truck wrecker had "cans" to put over the stacks when pulling trucks.  Said the air moving over the stacks would pull a vacuume and spin the turbo without oil being fed to it.   Did it? I have no idea.  

Edited by Hobert62

6 hours ago, ws721 said:

A Turbo will spin especially if the stack is curved and facing the wind.

I always covered the exhaust pipe with a can or something when l was moving heavy equipment. And forgot it a couple times until after l started her up!    Hippy...........

• Like 1

I was moving a dead truck with the B75.  Was on a secondary road that was posted 55 mph and I was doing the speed limit.  There was a fairly new white Cadillac close behind me with its windshield wipers on.  The day was overcast but no rain.  My windshield was completely dry.  Why was he running his wipers?  About five miles down the road, the Cadillac turned onto another road and I just kept on trucking.

Back at my place, I see the whole right side of the roll back body is covered in a film of oil.  WTH?  The dead truck had no hood and the hose from the air filter to turbo was long gone.  So,  as the air was forced back through the oil bath air cleaner, it was coming out the top and spraying the Caddy!

I never saw anything suspicious  in the right side mirror so it must have been a nice oil mist coming out. 

Sorry Mr. Cadillac driver.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Kids always like when we start the tractors with the "cans" on the stacks.  I usually have plastic bottles with one end cut out.    They bet wich one goes higher in the air.     The JD B I pulled I gutted the oil bath air filter and stuck a K&N inside it.   People look at us  funny when we drive it around with the can on the air stack.   

2 hours ago, ws721 said:

Anybody who hauls equipment and tells they have never done that is either a Fibber or only been hauling for a couple of days.  LOL

Just like at work.   Anyone that says they never dumped a stack of bread is the same way.    I know I've picked my fair share of loafs bread off the trailer floor over the last 17 years.    The worst are the ones in parking lots where other people can see ya.   

9 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

from experience  the old d6&d7- d8s  with turboed engines and their 7-8 in stacks facing forward would ruin the turbos in very short order at highway speeds

i learned that experience 35 years ago with a D-8H.

first move i ever made. moved it 35 miles from one job to another. 

5 minutes after unloading it it puked the turbo. 

boss was not that mad, as he said, lesson learned. don't let it happen again.

to this day i always make sure i have a bucket or something to put on the exhaust when moving machines. 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

i learned that experience 35 years ago with a D-8H.

first move i ever made. moved it 35 miles from one job to another. 

5 minutes after unloading it it puked the turbo. 

boss was not that mad, as he said, lesson learned. don't let it happen again.

to this day i always make sure i have a bucket or something to put on the exhaust when moving machines. 

How true! When I hauled my M917 from Philly to Virginia the Surplus dealer put a cover that the U.S. Military uses for transport on the stack. He told me it was to save the turbo from free wheeling.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE