Contemplating transmission upgrade in my truck.

Freightrain

As most know, my Triplex is whipped.   It still gets me there and back but it is rough, noisy, rattling, etc.  With all the other upgrades I've done to the truck I really like to find something else to put behind the 237.  No, I don't want just a 5 spd.

While at Gerharts I was admiring the Yoos brothers R700 and while the hood was up I noticed what appeared to be a single disc clutch bellhousing(looked short like mine)?  It has a 325 hp V8 and I think a 12 spd(was a twin countershaft box).  Did I see right?   It got me thinking if something like that would be a nice upgrade?  Or hens teeth?  Expensive to fix/rebuild?

My buddy keeps telling me to just throw a 13 spd in it.   I told him it is not that easy,  he's not familiar with Mack stuff.  I don't really want to get into major fab work(clutch linkage, pedal, etc).  I can do it, but if there is something simpler?  Like all my other upgrades, I spent lots of time looking, searching, investigating til I have all my ducks in a row and know it would all work. 

Just looking for opinions, options, thoughts on the matter.

When I was driving Dave's B61SX dump at Gerharts the quad box was tight as a drum.  Yes, he rebuilt it.  I was thoroughly impressed with it and had trouble shifting the compound because it was so tight(unlike mine).  I wouldn't mind if my Triplex was rebuilt but having that done and the cost?  He luckily found everything he needed, but there is one big bearing that he didn't replace due to the insane price(thousands of dollars).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Im no expert on transmissions, I dont have all the numbers in my head, Im not really that smart 

But having said all of that I have rebuilt a few transmissions in my time and these vary from little car types to 4x4 to trucks like my Mack farm tractors dozers etc and the list goes on 
I have never found that every single bearing is stuffed or that all the gears and shafts are worn, most times its only a few things that are badly worn and a lot of the selector linkages and forks can be  built up for little cost and when I have done these I wonder to my self why I put  up with it for so long ??

I find most times its only a few hundred bucks in parts and a week or two of time 

the one exception to this was the 12 speed in the Mack, I replaced the high - low  air split gears and that was a couple of grand I seem to recall but its a huge job to drop a triple counter shaft box out in the drive and I figured it would last me out when done 

So I guess from all my dribble here Im suggesting maybe look at what is badly worn and see what linkages can be built up and ground back into shape to make it nice and tight and smooth and rattle free 

The only quad boxes I have driven were fairly quiet if I remember rightly and the sticks didnt rattle all over the place either 

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

As most know, my Triplex is whipped.   It still gets me there and back but it is rough, noisy, rattling, etc.  With all the other upgrades I've done to the truck I really like to find something else to put behind the 237.  No, I don't want just a 5 spd.

While at Gerharts I was admiring the Yoos brothers R700 and while the hood was up I noticed what appeared to be a single disc clutch bellhousing(looked short like mine)?  It has a 325 hp V8 and I think a 12 spd(was a twin countershaft box).  Did I see right?   It got me thinking if something like that would be a nice upgrade?  Or hens teeth?  Expensive to fix/rebuild?

My buddy keeps telling me to just throw a 13 spd in it.   I told him it is not that easy,  he's not familiar with Mack stuff.  I don't really want to get into major fab work(clutch linkage, pedal, etc).  I can do it, but if there is something simpler?  Like all my other upgrades, I spent lots of time looking, searching, investigating til I have all my ducks in a row and know it would all work. 

When I was driving Dave's B61SX dump at Gerharts the quad box was tight as a drum.  Yes, he rebuilt it.  I was thoroughly impressed with it and had trouble shifting the compound because it was so tight(unlike mine).  I wouldn't mind if my Triplex was rebuilt but having that done and the cost?  He luckily found everything he needed, but there is one big bearing that he didn't replace due to the insane price(thousands of dollars).

A twin countershaft would not be a mack box. your triplex is probably a single disk push clutch with no clutch brake, a 13 spd would be a double disk pull clutch with a clutch brake, but it can be made to fit!   terry:D

Larry,

I have a 900 series 10 speed with 1 3/4 " shaft (but no stick). It maybe a short shaft for single disc - will have to measure. BUT no side mount bolt holes which is going to make a mess of supporting everything. If interested - you know my number.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge - your local source for real FAKE NEWS!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:36 PM, Freightrain said:

That was my Brother's R700. It does have a 12spd but it has a twin disc clutch and the 12 spd is a triple countershaft tranny.

Guess my eyesight must be getting poor.  I was darn sure it had a narrow bellhousing with passenger side starter.  Hmmm,  I knew something didn't seem right though.  Thanks for clarifying it.

I enjoyed our chat at Gerhart's, but you'll have to excuse my poor memory(see a pattern),  I don't remember which one of you it was and all I remember is a Brian?

Larry

On 11/10/2017 at 8:52 AM, Freightrain said:

Guess my eyesight must be getting poor.  I was darn sure it had a narrow bellhousing with passenger side starter.  Hmmm,  I knew something didn't seem right though.  Thanks for clarifying it.

I enjoyed our chat at Gerhart's, but you'll have to excuse my poor memory(see a pattern),  I don't remember which one of you it was and all I remember is a Brian?

Ha Ha! It was me, Josh that you talked to. It was nice meeting you in person. My Brother Ben is the one with the blue 72 R700. My Dad who you met as well is Mark. As far as the bellhousing the starter is on the passenger side but all the V8 are like that.

Thanks, Josh

Brian, Ben......well it started with a B anyhow..........  See what you have to look forward to?  LOL!!  Don't get any grey hair.....that's a sure sign of things to come.

That's interesting about the bellhousing.  I was kinda assuming that they switched over to Drivers side on R models.  Guess that is not the case, it is more of a motor option.

Larry