Cool Engine Trick

I've been having a fuel dilution issue on an engine. Liehberr Dealership Tech came up for a warranty diagnostic and high pressure fuel pump replacement. Guy was dabbing oil on white paper to find the "fuel halo". I grabbed an oil drop from a known good engine oil sample kit......same paper........no halo. I figure by the sample curve this drop has about 5%-7% dilution. Takes about 15 seconds to appear.  

5988764f46692_FuelDilution.thumb.JPG.1c70c53da67392921a5720a803f91b81.JPG

The drop of oil on a paper is not a new test.35 years ago at that time some of the old timers said they used it.It was to drop oil on a brown sack with a light behind it.I have tryed it a few times but did not find what i was looking for.Then some of them could smell of the oil and say yes or no.I do believe the paper test will work.

• Like 1

glenn akers

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

You should see the fuel in oil test for the new common rail engine.  Lucky for us we have not had a single issue with the 7 or 8  trucks we have running around here for the last 5 months. 

No keeping secrets bro....we are about to buy another L180H next month? Hoping they would produce a spectrum test someday.

4 hours ago, Mackpro said:

You should see the fuel in oil test for the new common rail engine.  Lucky for us we have not had a single issue with the 7 or 8  trucks we have running around here for the last 5 months. 

We only got a few out here so far Time will tell i guess! Maybe they finally got something we can be Proud of !

Unfortunately the after treat is the weak link in most all the stuff ( EVERYBODY'S! )

LETS  MAKE  MACK  GREAT  AGAIN!

Oh someone is already using that line! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

90% of mine is injectors/cups  and exhaust. Job security!

You will then have a problem in five years ! Because they MAY have made MACK Great again!

The injector cup problem is Solved We Now Have  Makeshift Common RAIL !

Because you said this!:D

You should see the fuel in oil test for the new common rail engine.  Lucky for us we have not had a single issue with the 7 or 8  trucks we have running around here for the last 5 months. :rolleyes:

So your life maybe cut down to just emptying the ash cans on DPFS ! :rolleyes:

Edited by fjh

You can buy these oil sample test kits for personal use. They also have transmission, power steering and coolant test kits. Kits are very cheap. I'll look around to find the company.

Found it. Fluid RX.-A website called gwrauto.com is a distributor for Fluid RX. Looks like it might be cheap and reasonably accurate. They have various test cards that you can compare your samples with. I used to be in charge of the oil sampling program at a large nuclear facility. Sending samples out is very accurate but also very expensive. Turn around time may be too long for a problem truck. This test kit should allow you to take a questionable truck out of service very quickly until you can get the lab samples back. Should be a good tool for the hobby truckers. Quick and dirty. I think a lot of fleets use this test method.

Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 1

Yup Volvo Trash ! Id like to strangle the designer with it! I notice the newer engines have a proper plug at the valve cover thou  Step in the right direction,  One small step for Mack  Kind ! 

Yep , the common rail engines have a separate harness under the valve cover. But the chassis harness is still mostly one piece