13 speed Fuller

As for the electronics, I've been running electronic controlled diesels (3) and motorcycles (3) since 2003. Only problem has been a 2000 model Moto Guzzi fouling plugs, and I'm beginning to suspect a failing old skool coil for that. Otherwise, the electronic controls have been an advantage with better cold starting, MPG, and easier diagnostics.

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

As for the electronics, I've been running electronic controlled diesels (3) and motorcycles (3) since 2003. Only problem has been a 2000 model Moto Guzzi fouling plugs, and I'm beginning to suspect a failing old skool coil for that. Otherwise, the electronic controls have been an advantage with better cold starting, MPG, and easier diagnostics.

See how far you go on some of these new electronic controlled diesels! As far as changing your mind on anything I think your the know it all that will not change.   terry:D

The 2003 has given no problems, and the electronics were helpful in diagnosing mechanical problems like a stuck actuator, vacuum lines, etc.. On the 2013 I was able to diagnose a malfunctioning flapper valve in the exhaust, after a few short full throttle runs the problem fixed itself.

4 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

Damn hasn't this been a hoot to read !  that trans is bigger than a 900 series unless the input shaft has been changed stock should be a 1 3/4 shaft. with a 300 and those slow speed rears and a solo truck you should be fine with a twin countershaft trans the only issue I could for see would be soft spongy ground where you could really put the torque to that trans, my advice would be check with the parts man and find a clutch that will only hold a 1000 foot lbs. of torque chances are it would slip before you blow a trans. btw nice clean looking R model ! any woods truck that age that is still that straight has been maintained and cared for. doubt  too many terminal  UPS drivers could keep one looking like that in the woods, enjoy the ol' dog !

Thats good info, shafts are 2" with a 1810 yoke. the truck came from southern Maryland and we went down did a preliminary check and liked the fact it was straight and clean with a good frame. Mostly road worthy, the owner did a few minor things for our road trip and there ya have it.. Went back down threw a farm plate on it and drove the old girl home. That was a long day, but worth it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I missed the original topic(fortunately perhaps) but the animosity is dripping off the page! Old true story.."Where you stand depends on where you sit!" I worked for a college educated man "who got interested in trucking by driving a "Michigan train" not for the faint of heart! He owned five single axle Cabovers he bought at auction (cash) for less than the average person pays for a junk used Honda on time mostly! He pulled hotshot flatbed. His trucks ,a mixed fleet were professionally maintained and seldom broke down! The big fleets trade their equipment while it is under warranty with a buyback agreement,that's why many truck dealerships resemble jbh and Schneider terminals! My business partner and I owned two new "big shot" rigs which were absolute lemons which we maintained religiously to no avail! He didn't start making money until he bought a used Volvo single axle big truck and used big truck drop deck, and I didn't start making money til I went to work for the guy with the five trucks! We both could tell you our cpm (he was an accountant for US Steel) and I actually did sleep thru math class, but somehow managed to be debt free and have an 830 credit score.I didn't however sleep thru welding school! What I'm saying is there is no one good way to get where you're going!

I missed the original topic(fortunately perhaps) but the animosity is dripping off the page! Old true story.."Where you stand depends on where you sit!" I worked for a college educated man "who got interested in trucking by driving a "Michigan train" not for the faint of heart! He owned five single axle Cabovers he bought at auction (cash) for less than the average person pays for a junk used Honda on time mostly! He pulled hotshot flatbed. His trucks ,a mixed fleet were professionally maintained and seldom broke down! The big fleets trade their equipment while it is under warranty with a buyback agreement,that's why many truck dealerships resemble jbh and Schneider terminals! My business partner and I owned two new "big shot" rigs which were absolute lemons which we maintained religiously to no avail! He didn't start making money until he bought a used Volvo single axle big truck and used big truck drop deck, and I didn't start making money til I went to work for the guy with the five trucks! We both could tell you our cpm (he was an accountant for US Steel) and I actually did sleep thru math class, but somehow managed to be debt free and have an 830 credit score.I didn't however sleep thru welding school! What I'm saying is there is no one good way to get where you're going! Casper, I use Lucas additive in my pickups,five speed tranny,50/50 with Rotella T, and 8 ounces every fill up in my truck and wife's car(gas). In the diesel big trucks I used Howes additive as anti gel in the winter and fuel system cleaner and lubricant all season! A lot of drivers use Lucas they seem to both be good!

• 10 months later...

Been a while since ive checked in on this thread, Iran the numbers the other day and the 84 superliner dumptruck i bought for 11 grand made me over 400,000 before i had to spend money on the motor,and the springs,but i wouldnt have the new stuff,drove a Granite with the automatic trans while mine was down and could see how much the technology had progressed,and that id fall asleep driving it because it was too quiet,

• Like 1

• 7 months later...