the fuel pump on my 54 mack fire pumper seems like it stopped working today. had fueled up 3weeks ago tried to start today and no go ,disconnected line to carb and no flow , someone recommended removing and send to a guy in N.Y. to rebuild ,any comments ,also cautioned on installing by in to get the lever in the right position or you can damage it.

The major issue with the mechanical pump on my Waukesha was that ethanol-formulated gasoline (combined with time) wore away the rubber diaphragm and eventually blew a hole through it. Parts no longer available for it, had to replace with an electric pump.

One more strike against corn squeezings. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

My B85 has an electric pump retrofitted in.  Just don't get one with too much pressure.  When I got my B85, it ran like crap, and it turned out that when the FD put in the electric pump, it was rated for 9psi, and the carb in mine is rated for 3psi.  Once I put a pressure regulator on mine and got it down to the 3-4psi range, it worked great.  No more flooding, coughing, and black smoke!

On 6/11/2017 at 8:29 AM, fxfymn said:

Albert,

Install an electric pump and either block off the hole for the mechanical pump with a flat plate or leave it on and just route the fuel lines around it.

Here is the one I used recently to replace a failed electric pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIQ5DG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This pump has isolated electrical connections so it can be used on a positive ground system without any issues.

Just make sure the pump is wired through the ignition switch so it will not remain on when the engine is off. This makes sure it will not fill the crankcase with fuel if the carb needle valve fails and it is a safety feature if the engine catches fire.

That's the same pump I put on mine, works perfect!

I took the fuel pump off ,sent on Tuesday to Arthur Gould Rebuilters on Long Island got it back on Friday morning ,totally rebuilt back on the truck in the p.m. and running, took some cranking to get the fuel to the pump from the tank ( we cleaned the filter bowl out so the line was empty back to the tank.

• Like 1