Mack powered non-Mack trucks

In the peak of Mack's day such as when the revolutionary Maxidyne engines and powertrains were very common because of the their torque and efficiency, were there any cases of operators of other makes swapping out their Cummins, Cats, or Detroits etc for a Mack powertrain? 

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog

Local legend has it that Twin Cities Fargo Freight got a heck of a deal on a fleet of Mack Western F model cabovers in the 70s, but felt the Mack V8s in them were too powerful. So they yanked the V8s and replaced them with Mack 6s, and sold the V8s to the Minneapolis International dealer who installed them in International gliders.

In the days before electronic power trains, it was easier to swap engines and components. I have seen a lot of ingenuity in such swaps where I am from but because Macks were rare and tended to be more expensive, I didn't see any Mack powered other trucks , but I have seen Mack rears and camel back suspension on a European truck.

Edited by Jamaican Bulldog

I know of an 18 ton grove crane that as for as i know is still running around that had a mack e6 transplant back in the early90s along with a mack 9 spd and mack rears. it stared life with a 4- 71 in the carrier               after this project was completed it turned out to be the only consistent 65 mph crane anywhere in northern virginia        :D

Edited by carlotpilot

A former Mack mechanic worked at Ariss Haulage in Ajax Ontario Can. He repowered 3 Kenworths in the fleet that were originally Cummins powered with Mack E6 engines in the late 80s and early 90s. Trucks worked day in and out with next to no issues.

2 of the trucks worked highway and gravel, 1 was strictly gravel.