237 hooked to a 10 speed

On another thread a member stated that he had a 237 hooked up to a 10 speed and it performed well. Has anyone else had experience with this type of setup. Seems like a 237/285 hooked up to a 10/15/18/20 speed would have infinite torque possibilities if you didn't try lugging the set up. Might be worth exploring as there are a lot of 237's around.:huh:

I too heard horror stories of running a 237 with anything but a 5spd.  I was very pleasantly surprised how well mine runs with my triplex.  I don't split the lower gears(1-2-3), but split 4 and 5 and it pulls right up to 2100 nicely.  Having the ability to drop just one gear on a grade really helps it from lugging and banging on that little single countershaft.  I keep it above 1500 rpm for the most part.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have the same set-up as Freightrain, 237 with a double over Triplex. Very happy with it, big improvement from the 673 I had,  Also running 1500-2100 and skipping gears when needed. Only issue...I miss the bark of the 673, much quieter at cruise though.

Well guys my 237 powered B-61X has a TRD 720. And I do use it and usually at the limit for a single axle -35,000. I will split it, depending on the grade I'm encountering.  I've been told by "old timers" (guys my age but with brains) just .."be careful with all that torque".   However I do not hesitate to drive it like a Maxidyne-1200-2100.

Is there any gear in a TRD 720 that is more susceptible to failure because of the torque load?  I've always been of the belief that the killer was NOT dragging down to 1200 but rather putting your foot into it too aggressively.

Well max torque is only when at WOT at 1100 rpm.  So if you aren't at WOT, you aren't giving it full torque output.  So, I suppose driving it easy, even at low rpm isn't bad.  I've let mine drop down low before and I know the sound of "it don't like it" so if I want to actually accelerate I downshift a gear.

Larry

237 might not be an issue with a good tranny but I wouldn't lug it too low on an older one with worn in bearings.  you can bolt it up to a 237 285 300 or 350 and, drive it with a brain. I think the killer is putting your foot into it or letting her lug on a worn trans.  ask Mat Pfahl how number 1,2,3 or 4 quadboxes held up behind his 350 before he put a  12 speed in it....

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Is there any "un-worn out" transmissions left in a B model?  LOL!!!!  My clunks at idle pretty bad.  I pulled one shim out of the rear bearing years ago and that did help just a touch, but that was 15 yrs ago.

Larry