One for the guys down under: what's this?

seen a dockumentry on a line haul driver down under and the big concerne was fuel temp on long hard pulls. raising a cab up like that makes sense when you have to do any work under there. n/a trucks are mounted to low and you can't  even see under them. I've often thought that the engineres should be the mechanics after they design something. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Lifting the R model cab makes a huge difference to the internal temps and quietening the cab down. While I was waiting delivery of a new Valueliner ( probably the first ever sold in SA late 86 )  I decided to lift the cab of a R model, 250C quad box I had sitting round. I lifted the cab 9” but left the bonnet and guards in the original position, cut the top out the hood and glassed modified sides in, looked similar to a SAR. About March 87 the modified R model with its driver visited Mack’s Wacol QLD to pick up spares for its regular trip to WA. Mack’s climbed all over it and took many pics. I got a call from a guy at Mack’s saying they were interested in building a V8 Valueliner and my truck gave them an insight into what one would look like. The rest is history. Eventually I sold the truck and it has changed hands a few times but the last reference I received was it’s still running and had a tipper body installed. 

Edited by Steve L
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, Steve L said:

Lifting the R model cab makes a huge difference to the internal temps and quietening the cab down. While I was waiting delivery of a new Valueliner ( probably the first ever sold in SA late 86 )  I decided to lift the cab of a R model, 250C quad box I had sitting round. I lifted the cab 9” but left the bonnet and guards in the original position, cut the top out the hood and glassed modified sides in, looked similar to a SAR. About March 87 the modified R model with its driver visited Mack’s Wacol QLD to pick up spares for its regular trip to WA. Mack’s climbed all over it and took many pics. I got a call from a guy at Mack’s saying they were interested in building a V8 Valueliner and my truck gave them an insight into what one would look like. The rest is history. Eventually I sold the truck and it has changed hands a few times but the last reference I received was it’s still running and had a tipper body installed. 

Pretty interesting and sounded like making history. Just wonder what was the original reason to lift up the cab on V8 Valueliners?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I reckon that was it Paul, also the cab was as high as a Superliner so that fitted the Mack V8 era.

lookin for a cheap “R” metro liner (square bonnet model). Gunna lift the cab a few inches to clear twin air cleaners

while leaving the bonnet on its present mounts. Should make an interesting truck. 

Re: modified R models. Some of you might remember Eddie Holland, he was a dear and long time friend of mine, we worked together in New Guinea way back in the 60s (now I’m giving way my vintage haha!) spent many days bogged in the bush together, sadly he passed. Well shortly after I built my R model Eddie built one. His was a ground up re build and called it “ EDDIE LINER “ even had an oval Eddie liner emblem each side of the hood. That truck sure looks good. It maybe mistaken for a V8 Valueliner which a few have but take a look at the grill and headlight profile, it’s a flat front R model. 

• Like 2