Truckin with young Kirk

mrsmackpaul

I must stress I have no connection at all to this video I just came across this, this morning and thought "how wonderful a young bloke out and about spending time with his Dad"
I come from a different time when we all thought our Dads were the greatest men in the world and wanted to be like them and wanted to spend as much time with them as we could
I wouldnt mind betting young Kirk thinks his Dad is better than Super Man or who ever young blokes like today

And it just so happened young Kirk and his father were out and about in Superliner 
A couple of things of interest maybe at about 2.20 you see young Kirk belting the rims with a hammer this is to drop the bull dust out that collects on dirt roads and packs in the rims and spiders but drops out when you slow to go into towns on the bitumen road again so you pull up and belt the rims so the dirt stays out of town

We must have different height laws in Australia than the US as or trailers are a lot higher

We hear all to often about the young generation are gunna be no hoapers   or bludgers  all to often but I dunno if we have more kids spending more time with their Dads learning a work ethic I think we maybe ok
And they also get to see that as big and strong as Dad is work can still be shitty some days

Paul 

• Like 1

That was awesome. Had a lot of miles with my Dad growing up.  Running forklifts, tarping, strapping, and fixing on trucks was cool and Dad showed us how to do it.  What am I saying, Dad still shows us how to get it done.  The bonus was that he always had a hole in the wall hot dog joint that he knew he could park a truck at.   I'm bringing my boys up the same way, I hope they enjoy it as much as I did. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Used to love riding with my dad on tow jobs in his old Diamond T! Especially at night it had a lot of lights!  I bought it from him for fifty bucks when he sold his business! Gave it back to him and he traded it for a 20 ton winch! I'll bet young Kirk will know how to drive a stick long before he can legally drive! Unlike the youngsters today!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's what it was like in the 60s running the rails with my uncle we ran a couple of old F7As he showed me the ropes made for lots of enjoyable times. My dad was a photoengraver never got to spend work time with him as it wasn't permitted by the company he worked at.

• 2 weeks later...

my pop was a teamster freight hauler as a kid.. he wasnt supposed to have riders but he used to sneek me aboard alot on a friday night U model mack....beacon fast freight,,,,,man what a rush for a young kid....and meeting all his friends secondi bros truck stop having coffee middle of the night.....great memories:thumb:...bob

I grew up going to work with my dad in an old yellow Kenworth with my two brothers. It was pretty squashy in there with 4 people, but we would go all over Australia during the school holidays. It had an 8v92 in it and I'd get headaches cause it was so loud.

IMG_1466.thumb.JPG.09593c61c29997722ddbb87558ea7ff1.JPG

• Like 2