TRDQ7210 rust on gears

b43jack

Bought a new to me B61SX last week.  The chassis had the cab removed and sat outside uncovered for 3 years. The main box shifter was stuck in netural  position.  The compound box seems to be fine and the linkage moves normally.  So I took a compound shifter linkage off and removed the top cover of the  main box transmission  only to find more than surface rust on the top half of every gear.   Can this trans be saved or is the surface hardening on all the gears gone from the rust?   I have tried to attach photos of what I found, thanks 

I have never done this but thought of doing it before but found another gear box cheap.

if you didn't want to take it out I would try and dissolve the rust.  Fill it up with evaporate rust and dissolve it.  Then after everything was dissolved rinse with a pressure washer and then soak in diesel/kerosene.  Then flush a few times.

Like I said I have never done it and if you don't have the tools or money to have someone else do it right now like Glenn said, I think for around a $100 you could try it.

If you do post the results. 

https://www.evaporust.com/evapo-rust-rust-remover

Edited by thomastractorsvc
spelling
  • Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Is that a weld bead on the case above the gear cluster? Certainly looks like one.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

The rust may clean up but the brgs will not make it and if you run it and let the brgs go down the the gears will be toast.

I didn't think about the bearings if they are pitted or not.  I was just thinking about the gear sets

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

what do you plan to do with the truck? that will dictate what you need to do to the trans. if you are going to pull 80k better fix it right, if its going to run 2 miles a year thru the local parade well that's a good cleaning and several diesel flushes away  from fixed. if some thing in between better glass bead the gears and replace any damaged bearings., the rear ends probably look about the same as well. better check the wheel bearings too !

• Like 1