New 2016 CHU613

Without a ton of info there is no way to predict a truck will get x MPG.  Even with a ton of info, 2 identical trucks running the same conditions will still vary from one another.   IMHO however as much as I appreciate a CH if you are truly after fuel economy, you should be kicking tires on a CXU.  The faster you like to run, the further from 7 mpg that square hood/bumper will put you as well.  

Agreed- Unless you have a special need for a set forward axle, the axle back models will give better fuel economy almost every time. As for other specs, the MP8 445 HP rating is reckoned by many to give better MPG. Also, you might want to consider Mack's "Super Econodyne" low RPM ratings, but you might want to skip the Volvo Automated Manual Transmission they like to stick behind it. And as long as you've got financing, maybe shop dealer stock nationwide or even order a truck built to your spec...

• Like 1

I would not be afraid of that truck one bit. Buy it up and run it.  Then you'll know FIRST HAND. All my experience with Mack service in MN has been good. Paccar around here not so good. It all depends on the dealer you go to. And I would think a new dealer would treat you excellent as they'd be looking for new customers. 

• Like 1

The new dealer thing is what scares me most. Mack or Volvo took the dealership away from Diesel Truck Sales of Saginaw, Michigan. They are my Freightliner/Ford dealer and were Mack forever. They also sold Ford so after that crap sandwich deal they got into the Freightliner/Sterling business. I guess because they weren't selling many units they lost the Mack franchise. Who's fault was it that they couldn't sell what Mack doesn't make? They sold one Titan. When Mack was Mack and Ford was Ford this place had more orange trucks and Michigan specials in the parking lot than you would believe.

Does anyone have any experience with Interstate Trucksource out of Saginaw or Romulus, Michigan? 

Well, the Mack followed my partner home today. The Peterbilt dealer tried but just couldn't get close with a 2016 579. I drove the Mack and it isn't my 389. I like most of the truck except those high dollar seats that feel rickety. 

Total cost of ownership not just being less money to start with is what sold the Mack to us. The injector cups on the Mack or the egr cooler on the Peterbilt. Both are expensive and will happen. I'm a Cat guy so injector cups have just been a way of life.

Ouch!  Mine is 18, 400 lbs with the high rise condo, and Mack rears!  They were heaviest of the options.  A friend of mine has a 14 CH and it's well over 20,000 as well.  I just saw that is full of fuel...I don't remember what the tractor is full of fuel by itself. I own my own reefer as well.  Truck and trailer stuffed full of fuel (dual 142's) DEF and reefer tank full I weigh in 36,500 lbs.  

Edited by wiserfrombud
  • Like 1

First full week mileage was 6.6. Not too shabby for a new truck with a trainee at the wheel most of the time. The drivers seat has been whined about every phone call this week. I guess it is coming out to be replaced with his Admiral out of his Ford. 

On 3/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, nwfs600 said:

First full week mileage was 6.6. Not too shabby for a new truck with a trainee at the wheel most of the time. The drivers seat has been whined about every phone call this week. I guess it is coming out to be replaced with his Admiral out of his Ford. 

6.6 is a nice number out of a brand new CHU.  That's a good start to a profitable truck.  Keep in mind we still have a few weeks of winter fuel.   I will be curious to see how it's doing in a few months.  

Edited by wiserfrombud

• 8 months later...