Remembering the Dodge T-234

kscarbel2

Many of us are familiar with both the civilian and military Dodge trucks of the past. However one model that is often forgotten is the military issue model T-234.

During World War II, the 2-1/2 ton rated Dodge T-234 was used in the India Theatre for the construction of the Ledo Road* (1942-1944), a critical supply route after the Burma Road was cut off by the Japanese. The project was led by U.S. Army General Joeseph "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell**.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledo_Road

**  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stilwell

Although built with the standard civilian Dodge cab and hood, the front fenders, grille and axle were different from U.S. models.

The T-234 was equipped with large 10.00-20 tires, and had a 170-inch wheelbase.

Dodge's 228 cubic inch L-head model T-203 engine, rated at 99 horsepower and 188 lb/ft (255 N.m) of torque, powered early models. Later, the 128 horsepower 331 cubic inch engine was fitted.

The T-234 was right-hand drive, as the British were responsible for India and Burma.

Related reading - http://imageevent.com/vc40wc41/burmadogetrucks;jsessionid=cywsk4orn1.camel_s?n=0&z=2&c=2&x=1&m=14&w=0&p=0

image 5.jpg

image 4.jpg

image 3.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 1 (1).jpg

image 1.jpg

• Like 2

Remember, the lighter Dodge T203, many of which were supplied to the Soviet Union under Lend-Lease, was only rated at 1-1/2 tons.

This T234 variant was beefed up considerably to have a 2-1/2 ton rating alike the much more substantial Diamond T Model 614, International K6 and K7, Federal Model 2G and GMC ACX.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Dodge T-234 "China / Burma" truck

A special case in between stock commercial and dedicated military trucks, was the T-234 "China / Burma Road" truck, which was built as part of the Allied cooperation with China against Japan, in the war and just thereafter. From October 1944 through March 1946, Dodge built 15,000 trucks, that used a special order combination of their most heavy-duty off-the-shelf components, to overland supplies from India to China over the very rough Stilwell / Ledo Road, to an extent to specifications personally drawn up by Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, then commander of the Nationalist Chinese forces. Chiang Kai-shek asked Roosevelt himself for 15,000 two-and-a-half-ton trucks capable of handling the Burma Road, requiring them to have an engine of at least 300 cubic inches and a 5-speed transmission.

The trucks were built with a near standard civilian closed cab – right-hand drive because the British were in command of Burma – but fitted with a flat, military-style grille & brush guard, and wide open, almost flat fenders, to avoid mud build-up clogging the wheels rotating, and otherwise stood out by having a 60-gallon fuel tank. In order for the trucks to function on the grueling 4,700 mile journey over the Himalayas, Dodge fitted not only heavy-duty springs and steering gear, but went so far as to fit tri-metal aircraft grade bearings and aeroplane-type shock absorbers. Radiators were fitted with an overflow tank, to return the cooled water to the sealed cooling system. Ground clearance was 13 in (33 cm), with a 50° approach angle, and 28.5° departure. Front axles were widened to give wider tread. Nevertheless, the average life of the trucks was only about five trips.

It has been commented that the front sheet metal design of the T-234 Burma Dodge shows remarkable resemblance to that of the post-war Dodge Power Wagons, and may well have influenced it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_T-,_V-,_W-Series

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

• Like 1

Kscarbel it seems the T-234 may have been the first heavy duty Dodge truck. The front end does look like the post-war Power Wagon. By the way, built at the Warren Truck Plant, a lot trucks that were a big part of history built there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

Kscarbel it seems the T-234 may have been the first heavy duty Dodge truck. The front end does look like the post-war Power Wagon. By the way, built at the Warren Truck Plant, a lot trucks that were a big part of history built there.

Agreed. For my understanding, it wasn't until 1960-1961 with the LCF and D-Series that they had medium-heavy and heavy trucks, and that was the result of George Sztykiel.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/55563-dodge-bighorn/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-416716

• Like 2

I'm reading the rear axle of the T-234 was a Timken full-floating single-speed double reduction unit with an 8.4 ratio.

The transmission was a Clark direct drive five-speed with a 7.58 first gear, and 6.10 reverse gear.

Curb weight  9,910lb

GVW (GVM)  20,000lb      (I'm sure that was routinely exceeded)

http://imageevent.com/vc40wc41/burmadogetrucks?p=2&b=-1&m=14&c=2&w=1&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=9

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

this type of truck is the most beautiful I’ve ever seen for me. By the way, I'm writing about Hungary. You may know, the Soviet Union after the WW II. copying certain types of U.S. vehicles which given to him for use. As a child, in the ’70s, I occasionally saw the ZIL-157 truck among the Soviet troops occupying us, which impressed me. My father, who already lived as a child in WWII. in time he told about this ZIL that the Russians had used such U.S. trucks in the war, but he no longer remembered its manufacturer and we were locked away from all such information during the communism. And, of course, the Soviets did not advertise their copying. Now that I’ve been over 50 years old I found out through the internet that Dodge actually designed these magic vehicles. Well, that’s all I wanted to say.

• Like 2

Russia copied all sorts of things from trucks to D7 Caterpillars to DC 3 aeroplanes to even the SuperFortress B 29 

If anyone is interested the Russian B29 story is a fascinating story the history channel made a movie on it, Steeling the SuperFortress

Dunno if the link will work or not

https://youtu.be/i3Tst3cm_A0

I guess all sides of the political world stole ideas and claimed them as their own

It is no surprise that the Burma Dodge was copied as the majority would of been in Russian hands at the end of WWII 

Paul 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Kscarbel2 Where did you find the photo of the line of Burma Dodge trucks with the star on the door.  These have to be trucks the Commies captured from the Nationalist when the went to Taiwan.  Some were also in the military parade in Beijing in 1949 and 1950.  Seeing this line up of truck makes me think they were used by the Chinese Reds in the Korean War since there was not a lot of trucks in China at that time.

20 hours ago, vc40wc41 said:

Kscarbel2 Where did you find the photo of the line of Burma Dodge trucks with the star on the door.  These have to be trucks the Commies captured from the Nationalist when the went to Taiwan.  Some were also in the military parade in Beijing in 1949 and 1950.  Seeing this line up of truck makes me think they were used by the Chinese Reds in the Korean War since there was not a lot of trucks in China at that time.

KS hasnt been on here for a while now

Thats a good pickup though and you probably are correct

Paul