Mr. P.L. Duncan has passed

MHfred

Mr. P.L. Duncan of Columbia, VA passed on Feb.12, 2017. He was 84 years old and was the owner and operator of P.L. Duncan Trucking. For the last few years his sons had run the business. He was a member of ATHS since 1986 and held the office of RVP for VA and WVA for several years. He had a large truck collection and over the years many of us had visited with him and his collection.

Here is a link to his obit:

http://www.richmond.com/obituaries/article_f61545c5-6175-5867-aa32-e44bde778738.html

I am pretty sure he and I had a lengthy conversation at Macungie about 10 years ago. He was admiring the FWD and commented that he had acquired an FWD plow truck, but living down south they were not common trucks and he had never seen an FWD Firetruck. He was a super nice guy. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sounds like him, he was a super nice guy, and he would stand and talk to you all day. I've been to his place several times. I took nocluejoe66 there one time and he gave us the grand tour in his pickup. I have many pictures of his trucks, the album is called "Old Trucks at P.L. Duncan's". They're in Cumberland county, where I was born and raised. I'm in Hubbard, Ohio now on the laptop.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 minute ago, Brocky said:

IT DID!!!  Thanks for sharing these pictures..

You're welcome. The gray cinderblock building is the old Davidson's Orchard apple packing place on rt. 15 a few miles north of Dillwyn.  There was an old Davidson's Orchard truck at P.L.Duncan's so that's why I got a picture of the building. We used to go there and get apples and peaches when I was a kid. Now there's pine trees planted where the apple trees used to be. The store we're all in front of in the pictures is at P.L's too. It was Duncan's Store. We were there with Wayne Ellis, his dad, and his uncle when these pictures were taken. P.L. gave us a tour of the store that day, and it is packed full of stuff too- The American Pickers guys would go nuts, lots of old signs, oil and antifreeze containers, truck emblems of all sorts, even some grocery items laying around, and I think he told us the store closed in the 80's.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Condolences to his family. We went to see him in the 1990's and again about 5 years ago  to talk about the I.H. COE based on the  5000 series cab. .One of the most interesting people we ever met and a wealth of history. He will be missed.   Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 7 years later...

I visited the Duncan Truck Graveyard a few years ago and, as an artist, I think it was a beautiful sight. I painted several scenes of old trucks resting in peace. You can see them on WilliamLakeArt.com. I was about to upload another painting of the Duncan trucks and was looking for more of the history when I found this site I'll try to upload here if the site lets me. 

Bill

My sister said something really interesting to me the other day that I had not thought of I was talking about.  after I pass over. I have a portable radio. My pop bought me in 1963. I still have it and it’s still works. I was joking  that thing might be worth $1 million After I croak it’s not anything special but somebody might figure out it’s the only one left in captivity  she said yeah but that’s only if we don’t burn up or get flooded out I thought that was very interesting and I don’t know where she got that!!!!! Bob