Air start tank acquisition

Freightrain

Well I had a few leaks to deal with.  The drain plug was loose(duh, forgot to roll it over and check it) and the pop off valve is likely pretty dry rotted too.  I plugged them and it is holding steady.  Will see tonight if it moved at all.

I have a polishing kit coming, I have a new Dewalt 5.3 hp grinder to use.  Just waiting on my brackets to get powder coated.

The new fuel tanks should be here late this week.  Can't wait to polish them!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 4 weeks later...

Well, its DONE!!

Still have to get the battery box mounted and wiring put back on it so everything else works.  Plus I have a dual pressure gauge coming next week to monitor the air start tank separately.

Larry

• 1 month later...

John,  it depends on how cold it is.  With a warm engine it doesn't take much at all to start(10#?).  It was 45* the other weekend and it took quite a bit for it to start even in the garage.  Didn't run out, but didn't fire instantly.  I forgot to push some fuel pedal so that was one mistake.  Typically I don't have to give it fuel but with electric you can just keep cranking and give it fuel and not worry.  With the air start you have to be ready.  Learning curve.

You have to let off the button to see if it is running, which is kind weird to get use to and why it took a bit when it was colder and forgot to give it fuel.  It really does seem like the motor slows down after you let of the air start.

I have the dual pressure gauge installed and works well.   It keeps 110# in the start tank and 120# in the system.  The start tank holds pressure fine with maybe 10# drop in a week in a cool garage.

How the tank looks all mounted up:
IMG_20170513_184206_162_zpsbnumk7vk.jpg

• Like 1

Larry

Ya, Mark made it easy for me!  I had a local guy keeping his eyes peeled for one but had not found one yet. 

A beer keg would NOT make a good air tank.  I'm sure it is way too thin to support 120 psi.  This tank is 1/4" wall(and quite heavy).

• Like 2

Larry