Freightrain

Air start tank acquisition

BillyT    438

Shut the thing off at a light and restart it next to some teenagers in a convertible! Don't do it to any elderly folks they're liable to croak!

Freightrain    1,724

Well I had a few leaks to deal with.  The drain plug was loose(duh, forgot to roll it over and check it) and the pop off valve is likely pretty dry rotted too.  I plugged them and it is holding steady.  Will see tonight if it moved at all.

I have a polishing kit coming, I have a new Dewalt 5.3 hp grinder to use.  Just waiting on my brackets to get powder coated.

The new fuel tanks should be here late this week.  Can't wait to polish them!

Freightrain    1,724

Well, its DONE!!

Still have to get the battery box mounted and wiring put back on it so everything else works.  Plus I have a dual pressure gauge coming next week to monitor the air start tank separately.

j hancock    8,491

There goes the neighborhood....

Sounds good!

• Like 1

John Costley    17

Larry,

Doesnt look like it pulls much air to spin it over. Have you checked the pressure drop during cranking since you put the new gauge in ?

Freightrain    1,724

John,  it depends on how cold it is.  With a warm engine it doesn't take much at all to start(10#?).  It was 45* the other weekend and it took quite a bit for it to start even in the garage.  Didn't run out, but didn't fire instantly.  I forgot to push some fuel pedal so that was one mistake.  Typically I don't have to give it fuel but with electric you can just keep cranking and give it fuel and not worry.  With the air start you have to be ready.  Learning curve.

You have to let off the button to see if it is running, which is kind weird to get use to and why it took a bit when it was colder and forgot to give it fuel.  It really does seem like the motor slows down after you let of the air start.

I have the dual pressure gauge installed and works well.   It keeps 110# in the start tank and 120# in the system.  The start tank holds pressure fine with maybe 10# drop in a week in a cool garage.

How the tank looks all mounted up:
IMG_20170513_184206_162_zpsbnumk7vk.jpg

• Like 1

Hobert62    587
2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

All you have to do is ask around.......

You lucked out.  Yours kinda found you...   Would a beer keg work?   Would have a neat look.    

• Like 1

68-f-model    167

looks neat.  Ah to never buy another starting battery again that would be nice. :thumb: